Health Corner: Watermelon

Watermelon is most commonly known as a summer fruit; remember those July and August barbecues where you have watermelon for dessert? But as we flip the calendar to March we are actually entering the month when watermelon is at its freshest stage. The sweetness of watermelon always attracted us when we were younger, but now it is more than taste that you should look for when watermelon season ripens.

As is the case with most red fruits, watermelon has lycopene, which has been proven time and time again to prevent cancer. Watermelon is unique in that it has a usually high amount of lycopene. It also has potassium which helps control blood pressure, prevent strokes, and regulate the heart beat.

But if you have been reading the Health Corner week after week, as I am sure most of you have, you have probably noticed that almost everything written about in the Health Corner prevents heart attacks and strokes and controls the heart. So what makes the watermelon so special? Why should you eat it instead of any other fruit?

Well for one thing, it is delicious. If you do not like watermelon, especially on a hot day, I recommend you have your taste buds checked. Watermelon is unique for practical reasons. It is a natural thirst quencher. It was first grown in Egypt, and was a very highly sought after fruit in Egypt because of its high water content combined with Egypt’s hot weather, deserts, and lack of water. Watermelon is 92 percent water. Some hieroglyphics suggest watermelon was put in the tombs of some pharaohs. Instead of gulping down fruit drinks with added and processed sugars, why not quench your thirst with some watermelon? You still benefit from the nutrients and you get the sweetness of the natural sugar. Smart Water has nothing on the watermelon.

Watermelon is also beneficial because it is such a light snack. It will fill you up without making you feel heavy and lazy.

It comes in more than one form. You can buy them baby, regular or seedless. But why would you want it seedless? That could even be the best part. Mostly in the Arab world but quickly growing in the U.S., roasted watermelon seeds are a popular snack.

Now for the most unique health benefit of the watermelon: prevention against erectile dysfunction. ED is caused by poor blood flow, so eating watermelon on a regular basis can improve the condition because of a new element found in it. Citrulline is converted into arginine, which causes more nitric oxide to be released. This causes blood vessels to expand throughout the body and increase blood flow. This is similar to the effects of Viagra.

No, watermelon flavored gum and candy do not count. Those are in season all year, but have zero nutritional value.

70 thoughts on “Health Corner: Watermelon”

1. It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

2. Don’t easily believe in an important dimension cheap polo ralph lauren shirts for men around the tag. Under no circumstances get hold of a little bit of attire not having observing your hotness inside. Styles will determined by established proportions any more. They’re just various depending on ralph lauren polo outlet stores,type.When you are paying for merchandise on the internet, diligently study their very own dimensions graph and or chart initial. In addition find if you pick is usually given back.Hunting because fashionable as people the thing is on morning shows and films is not over-time. Should you genuinely wish to glimpse your very best, it will be key to investigation way along with teach yourself on developments. How you look will be better than previously when you use all these vogue ideas.

3. I simply want to say I am very new to blogs and seriously liked this web site. Probably I’m planning to bookmark your blog . You actually have awesome articles. Regards for revealing your web-site.

4. Stay well hydrated . everyday to further improve dried up broken screws along with baby juicy couture outlet. Hydration is the main function throughout stopping waterless ,learn more, and also fingernail or toenails out of grow to be excessively dried. That works especially important in the wintertime as the air flow may be very chilly as well as waterless. Employ a moisturizer that’s shea butter for your cuticles in addition to fingernails or toenails regularly. You will definitely want to use rubber gloves whenever you make use of the butter on your hands previous to get to sleep at the same time to make sure they’re managed healthy and balanced.

5. It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

6. Thank you for another fantastic article. Where else could anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

7. I’ve recently started a web site, the info you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work. “Her grandmother, as she gets older, is not fading but rather becoming more concentrated.” by Paulette Bates Alden.

8. Hello! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa? My blog discusses a lot of the same topics as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other. If you are interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Terrific blog by the way!

9. Needed to put you one very little observation in order to say thank you the moment again for these striking thoughts you have shown here. It’s really seriously open-handed of people like you in giving openly all that most of us could have sold as an electronic book to earn some cash for themselves, precisely since you might well have tried it in case you wanted. These thoughts also served as a fantastic way to realize that other people have a similar eagerness the same as my personal own to see lots more concerning this problem. I am sure there are lots of more pleasant instances ahead for many who go through your blog post.

10. I wanted to put you a tiny remark just to say thank you over again on your precious knowledge you have contributed on this site. It has been simply pretty generous with people like you to supply without restraint exactly what most of us would’ve made available for an ebook in order to make some dough for themselves, and in particular seeing that you might well have tried it in the event you considered necessary. Those good ideas as well served to be the great way to recognize that someone else have the same zeal the same as my own to see great deal more with regard to this issue. I think there are a lot more fun periods in the future for folks who check out your blog.

11. Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

12. Pingback: link
  13. Pingback: sources say