Lupe Rocks Sold Out Homecoming Concert

Lupe Fiasco performs 1

Lupe Fiasco, DJ Simon Says and drummer Baby Bam performed several of Fiasco’s songs and one of Kanye West’s songs at the crowded homecoming concert on Friday night. Over 2,000 students came to the sold out show in War Memorial Gym. (Chelsea Sterling|Foghorn)

Apathy was at a low Friday night at War Memorial Gym as students eagerly anticipated the arrival of hip-hop artist and performer Lupe Fiasco, at this year’s homecoming concert. Although Lupe Fiasco only performed for about an hour, approximately 500 students, alumni and staff crowded the basketball court to hear him perform. Even USF President Rev. Stephen Privett, S.J, made an appearance at the beginning of the concert.

President of the Campus Activities Board Courtney Ball said that there were 2,500 tickets available and that the concert was sold out. During the pep rally ASUSF directed students to the ticket booth, which may have contributed to the boost in sales. Attendance at the concert, however, ranged from 400-500 people. The doors opened at 7:30, but Fiasco did not come on stage until 9:15. Alex Platt, an event staff worker, said of the concert, “I thought it went pretty smoothly.” After working with Wyclef Jean, last year’s homecoming performer, on his music video “If I Was President,” Platt was disappointed that Fiasco did not have much interaction with students. While Jean let event staff and some students listen to his sound check before the concert, Fiasco made students leave and did not sign autographs or meet with students before the concert. Platt said, “He wanted to do his own thing. He didn’t really want to interact with students.” On the other hand, Platt said of Jean, “He was very into talking to his fans.” Platt pointed out that the way that both artists came on to campus was significant. Jean entered near Fromm Hall and walked through campus, shaking hands and greeting students as he made his way to the gym. Fiasco entered the gym through a side door, limiting his face time with student fans.

Lupe Fiasco performs 2

Although most students enjoyed Lupe Fiasco’s performance at the homecoming concert, some wished he had played longer than his scheduled one hour show. (Chelsea Sterling|Foghorn)

Platt was in charge of the pep rally this year. When the band canceled and miscommunications occurred with the dance team, student turnout suffered. Next year, Platt proposes to hold the pep rally before the concert because students will already be gathered and waiting for the performer. If the basketball team was brought on stage before the performer, the audience’s excitement might transform into school spirit.The music seemed to resonate with students. Even students who don’t identify as hip-hop fans enjoyed Fiasco’s performance at the concert. Chet Bentley, a sophomore media studies major, said the music was not his style, but “it was energetic and appealed to the masses.”

Bentley liked the concert because Fiasco was cool and young. Fiasco played many of his popular songs like “Superstar,” “Daydreamin’,” “Go Go Gadget Flow” and one of Kanye West’s songs, “Touch the Sky.” Fiasco’s backup performers included DJ Simon Says and drummer Baby Bam. 2007 alumnus Ilya Fishman said, “I was really excited to see him. He is a real rap artist with great music. I was already a huge fan so seeing him live was awesome.”Ball said that some students were disappointed Fiasco didn’t perform longer, but Platt said that the concert time was previously established for one hour. Sophomore Katrina Valdez said that although the concert was shorter than Wyclef Jean’s, it was better. She said, “He [Fiasco] brought a good atmosphere.”

65 thoughts on “Lupe Rocks Sold Out Homecoming Concert”

1. It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

2. What i don’t understood is in reality how you’re now not actually a lot more smartly-liked than you might be right now. You are so intelligent. You realize therefore significantly in terms of this topic, produced me individually imagine it from numerous numerous angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated except it is something to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs great. Always handle it up!

3. This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

4. Great blog here! Also your website loads up fast! What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

5. A person essentially lend a hand to make critically articles I’d state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and so far? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual submit incredible. Wonderful activity!

6. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed! Very useful information specifically the last part :) I care for such info much. I was looking for this particular info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

7. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back sometime soon. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great writing, have a nice evening!

8. Sorry, I not speak good english.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this web site. I’m hoping the same high-grade web site post from you in the upcoming also. In fact your creative writing skills has encouraged me to get my own blog now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good example of it.

9. I needed to compose you that very little remark so as to give thanks once again for all the exceptional solutions you have shown in this article. It has been really unbelievably open-handed of you to make publicly precisely what most people could have supplied as an ebook to end up making some profit on their own, specifically considering that you could possibly have tried it if you considered necessary. These tips as well worked to be a fantastic way to know that other people online have a similar eagerness just as my own to figure out a great deal more around this problem. I am sure there are numerous more enjoyable sessions ahead for many who check out your website.

10. I simply want to say I am beginner to blogging and honestly enjoyed your web blog. Almost certainly I’m likely to bookmark your blog . You certainly come with terrific stories. Regards for sharing with us your web site.

11. Stay well hydrated regularly to enhance dried out fell apart finger nails plus juicy couture outlet online store. Liquids plays the main role within avoiding dry ,juicy couture cheap tracksuits, and also nails from become very dry. It runs particularly significant in the wintertime although oxygen is really frigid and also dry out. Utilize a moisturiser which has shea butter onto your cuticles and even toenails everyday. You may want to use gloves once you apply the butter on your hands in advance of nap in addition to ensure they are maintained nutritious.