Students Sacrifice Chocolate, Cigarettes for Lent

Easter Sunday marked the end of Lent, when many Catholics choose to abstain from a guilty pleasure for 40 days to pay homage to the sacrifice they believe Jesus made for them.  At USF, many choose to follow this tradition for spiritual reasons or simply as a personal test of character.

Senior Patrick Phillips said he tried to give up chocolate and cigarettes, but cheated on the cigarettes a few times. Freshman Barbara Evangelista also gave up chocolate, cutting down from a bar-a-day habit. After 40 chocolate-free days, she had a few mini chocolate Easter candies on Easter and said, “It wasn’t that wonderful,” and that she now has no more cravings.

Some students, such as freshman Deirdre Long, tried more inventive resolutions. Long gave up the dessert crepes from the Market Café, as well as many of the unhealthy fried foods from the grill section. She said in the 40 days of a Lent, she rarely felt cravings for these foods and her skin cleared up from eating more healthfully. Now that Lent is over, she does not feel the need to indulge so much. “I feel like once I’ve given it up for 40 days, I know I don’t need it anymore,” Long said.

Freshman Annie Tull decided to give up the sweetener high fructose corn syrup. “I was obsessed with this cranberry apple raspberry juice sold at the cafe but I realized it had high fructose corn syrup in it. I was going to give up just the juice, but then I decided to give up HFCS altogether.” Tull said it wasn’t very difficult to abstain because she generally eats many organic and natural foods, but she checked on items such as cereal if she didn’t know, and did accidentally slip up a couple of times. After the 40 day cleanse, she tried her favorite juice again, and said that after drinking a third of the bottle, she had to stop because it gave her a headache.
Catherine Mifsud, director of University Ministry retreats, tried a different approach to Lent this year. “A lot of people use Lent as a 40 day diet or a second shot at a new year’s resolution and I think a lot of significance gets lost.” Instead of giving up one vice for 40 days, she practiced the Fast Pray Give philosophy posted on a website for young adults called BustedHalo.com. On each date of the 40-day period, there is a suggestion for what to fast from, what to pray for, and who to give to; for example, one day it advised people to fast from television and pick up a book instead, pray for those who do not have access to education, and give used books to local libraries, hospitals and after-school programs.

While in years past Mifsud made traditional Lenten Resolutions such as abstaining from candy or soda, she felt a more significant experience this year by giving back as well. After all, she said, “How is it going to help the world if I give up chocolate?”

60 thoughts on “Students Sacrifice Chocolate, Cigarettes for Lent”

1. Sell gold Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that will be okay. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and take pleasure in new improvements.

2. Pingback: best site
  3. Good – I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs and related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, website theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Nice task.

4. I intended to draft you one little word to finally say thank you yet again just for the magnificent opinions you’ve shown in this article. It’s simply particularly open-handed with you to present extensively just what numerous people would have offered for an electronic book to earn some bucks on their own, even more so seeing that you could possibly have tried it if you ever wanted. The tips additionally worked to provide a fantastic way to know that someone else have the identical dreams really like my personal own to see a little more with respect to this matter. I know there are millions of more enjoyable opportunities in the future for those who look into your blog post.

5. I wanted to post you that little word to help say thanks the moment again regarding the pleasing opinions you’ve documented on this website. It has been tremendously generous of you to allow easily what exactly some people would have offered for sale as an e-book to get some cash for themselves, most importantly given that you might have done it in the event you wanted. The suggestions as well acted like a fantastic way to understand that someone else have a similar passion really like my personal own to know the truth whole lot more in terms of this problem. I believe there are a lot more fun periods ahead for many who discover your site.

6. I’ve been browsing on-line greater than 3 hours nowadays, but I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It is lovely worth enough for me. Personally, if all web owners and bloggers made excellent content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before. “When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object.” by Milan Kundera.