LD Students’ Guide to Postsecondary Education

Blog Address: http://www.remakingthenewsforldstudents.blogspot.com/?zx=e5e77ce9f42a43ad

As of 2008, there were slightly over three million students diagnosed with learning disabilities enrolled in postsecondary education in the United States either in vocational and career schools or two and four year colleges and universities.

In the Bay Area, 15% of high school students have been diagnosed with a learning disability.

Our goal is to make the college transition easier for these students. To do this, we created a blog with contact information, student population numbers, resources, and software available for students with learning disabilities at four different colleges in the Bay Area: St. Mary’s College, University of San Francisco, College of San Mateo, and San Francisco State University. We intervied the director of each school’s disabilities department and toured their facilities. Finally, we offer a final analysis of what we think of each program; feel free to offer your own opinion on our blog.

The four schools were chosen in order to give examples of programs at varying levels of postsecondary education. We are looking to add more schools to our blog in the coming months, along with photos and possibly video tours of the different campus facilities.
This is a very important issue that is affecting many students and families. The national high school dropout rate in the United States as of 2005, the last year that the data was collected by the Department of Education, was 29%, an improvement of 5% since the beginning of the decade, according to the New York Times. The dropout rate for students with learning disabilities was 36% at that same point, though the Advocacy Institute claims the dropout rate for LD students is currently double that of students without. This is partly because high schools cannot help all LD students find a postsecondary school that meets their needs and partly because laws concerning students with disabilities change at the postsecondary level.

Throughout their academic careers, the 1973 Rehabilitation Act (Section 504) and 1990′s Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, both of which prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability at the elementary, secondary, and postsecondary level, protect these students.

These laws give rights to LD students in every school district and postsecondary school in the United States, but responsibilities change significantly at the postsecondary level in how those rights are addressed.
For example, in elementary and secondary education, a school district is required to offer a free appropriate public education (FAPE) to all students with learning disabilities within their district, meaning the district must identify needs on a case-by-case basis and provide aids and services necessary to meet those needs. In providing these aids and services, the school district must ensure that the needs of LD students are met as well as the needs of students without disabilities.
Postsecondary schools are not required to provide FAPE. They are only required to provide aid that is necessary to ensure they are not discriminating against LD students.

In fulfilling this requirement, postsecondary schools must similarly take into account individual needs.
Examples of services to attend to these needs are providing note takers, sign language interpreters, and priority registration. Postsecondary schools are not required to provide personal services or devices, such as tutoring and typing.

Because postsecondary schools are not required to provide as many resources for LD students as elementary and secondary schools, postsecondary education choices for LD students is even more narrow and limited. Our goal is to make the school selection process easier for LD students, their families, and high schools by having all of the information needed in a single location. If you would like us to add something to our blog, or find something that you think should be changed, feel free to let us know. We have provided a link to the blog below along with our own contact information.

Nicholas Mukhar: nsmukhar@usfca.edu
Nicholas Baradello: Nicholas.baradello@comcast.net

The views express herein may not be those of the Foghorn Online. This content has been submitted by the greater online community and reviewed for basic discretionary content by our editors. For any other further questions, please contact web@sffoghorn.info

Last 5 posts by Foghorn Community

70 thoughts on “LD Students’ Guide to Postsecondary Education”

1. Hey, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.

When I look at your blog site in Firefox, it looks fine but when
    opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that,
    great blog!

2. Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyhow, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

3. It’s a win-win situation for both – he can keep all of his old pornographic VHS tapes and she can continue sliding into bed, slathered in cold cream. The viewers of violent free sex video library are very few, because not many people can take all the fighting and brutality. I’ve dated my share of women and one subject that is dear to my heart is dating black girls.

4. Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend
    your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped
    me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

5. I feel that this website web page could be very very good. Right here I found this post, and it truly is definitely extremely excellent. At times is important to seek by a lot of parties or websites to seek out everything you need to have, but on this occasion, it has been uncomplicated to locate these contents, that is certainly genuinely clever.

6. Attractive part of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to say that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing in your feeds and even I achievement you get entry to persistently fast.

7. Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue with your web site in internet explorer, could check this?

IE nonetheless is the market chief and a big element of other people will pass over your excellent
    writing because of this problem.

my page – eternity warriors 3 cheats, youtube.com,