Changes in the Way We Pay For College: Who to Believe

In the last year, USF students have found available funds for college dwindling and sometimes nonexistent.  At the same time, incomes and job opportunities are decreasing at alarming rates. While the media concerns itself with the public health care program, the government’s quiet but determined attempts to reform the student loan system have escaped the press. In such turbulent times, what new hurdles should USF students expect when it comes to financing their education in the coming years?

The student loan market operates outside the conventional loan framework.  The government plays a large role in guaranteeing money to students by offering fixed, below-market-rate loans that are not dependent on the complicated structure used by private lenders.  These private lenders directly compete with the government loan program enticing students with superior customer service and competitive rates.

But due to the increased number of loan defaults in 2008 and the resulting bank failures, private lenders have been less inclined to loan funds to students, especially considering the depleted job market available to expected graduates.

As banks find it harder and harder to release credit to potential students, government loans become a larger source of student financing.  In 2008, a temporary restructuring of the student loan market occurred wherein the government started buying up student loans from private lenders. The current student loan bill intends to make the government the sole financer of student loans, totally wiping out competition from the private lenders.

USF students can expect to see a more inefficient, harder to navigate student loan system in the coming years, according to many analysts. Government programs are implicitly inefficient and the current popular bill designing a student loan system entirely run by the government would be no exception.  The disintegration of the private student loan market would wipe out all competition, allowing the government to monopolize the market for student loans.

But the government claims a simplified financial aid process will result from the student loan overhaul, which means that USF students will spend fewer hours struggling with endless FAFSA forms.  Due to the streamlining of the system, the government reports it will save $87 billion over 10 years, half of which is intended to go to the Pell Grant program for low-income students.

Jessica Zuzik, a graduate student in economics at USF, has had many problems garnering financial aid from the school, despite her excellent academic record.  “I feel that USF has forsaken financial aid because they are a private institution.  They have not made it a priority because they feel that students can afford the excessive tuitions.”  Frustrations such as these leave students relying primarily on the government for financial aid, and soon they will add student loans to this list.

Michelle Schaeffer is a graduate student in the economics department at USF.  She writes on economic issues in her blog at http://economicinquiries.blogspot.com.

22 thoughts on “Changes in the Way We Pay For College: Who to Believe”

1. Everything is very open with a clear clarification of the
    challenges. It was truly informative. Your website is very useful.

Thank you for sharing!

2. Normally I don’t read post on blogs, but I wish
    to say that this write-up very compelled me
    to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me.
    Thank you, quite great article.

3. It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate to this superb blog!
    I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.

I look forward to new updates and will talk about this site with my Facebook
    group. Chat soon!

4. I’m curious to find out what blog system you have been utilizing?
    I’m having some small security problems with my latest website and
    I would like to find something more risk-free. Do you have any recommendations?

5. Heya are using WordPress for your site platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and
    create my own. Do you require any coding knowledge to make your own blog?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6. Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thanks, However I am going through problems with your
    RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I am unable to
    subscribe to it. Is there anyone else getting identical RSS problems?
    Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!

7. I drop a comment when I appreciate a article on a website or
    if I have something to valuable to contribute to the
    conversation. It is a result of the passion communicated in the article I read.
    And after this article Changes in the Way We Pay For College: Who to Believe | SF Foghorn. I was
    excited enough to drop a leave a responsea response ;) I do have a
    few questions for you if you do not mind. Is it only me or does it seem like some of these responses come across as if they are written by brain dead
    individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on additional sites,
    I’d like to keep up with you. Would you make a list every one of your community sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Also visit my blog post – event-Ology.net

8. Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!

Extremely useful information particularly the last part :
    ) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time.
    Thank you and good luck.

Here is my blog: how to make a successful blog [Christoper]

9. When someone writes an paragraph he/she maintains the
    thought of a user in his/her brain that how a user can know it.
    Thus that’s why this piece of writing is amazing.
    Thanks!

10. Its such as you read my thoughts! You seem to grasp a lot approximately this,
    like you wrote the ebook in it or something. I believe that
    you could do with a few percent to pressure the message home a bit, however other than that, that is fantastic blog.

A great read. I’ll certainly be back.

Here is my website: designer website design (Nidia)

11. There is no agreed consensus of opinion in the World of SEO as to whether dedicated hosting is better than shared, although some individuals
    express concern that a shared IP address could affect your rankings amongst the search
    engines. This would give you a better grasp of the company, its policies and seeming lacunae if any.

NET, Front – Page, MSSQL, Access, POP3, HTML, Java – Script, and My – SQL that are limited as well as expensive with linux.

Moreover, you should also look at the shared hosting company’s reliability and quality.
    ve chosen your niche and your products, get your own domain name and webhosting.

Because of all of the reasons discussed above it is globally agreed that VPS hosting is definitely better than shared hosting.
    Host – Gator dedicated servers are equipped with the best technology and with the best innovative applications together with the
    lowest cost VPS plans. With Hostgator, you happen to be assured of unlimited space
    and endless bandwidth and this also helps to supply you with
    the best value for money. There is no extra amount will be charged for this offer.
    If you enjoyed this article please click on “subscribe”
    above to receive e-mail notifications of future articles
    by this author.

Here is my web-site Hostgator Coupon Code