Profile: Ivana Rosas, Globally Minded Senior

Senior Ivana Rosas speaks three languages and has traveled to Europe and Central America during her career at USF.  Photo by Melissa Stihl/Foghorn

Senior Ivana Rosas speaks three languages and has traveled to Europe and Central America during her career at USF. Photo by Melissa Stihl/Foghorn

Through study abroad opportunities and service learning trips, senior Ivana Rosas has seen many countries including Nicaragua, El Salvador, and France. Rosas, an international studies major focusing on the environment and development, considers herself a citizen of the world.

Born in San Cristobal, Venezuela, Rosas’ family moved to Los Angeles when she was five years old. Her family returned to Venezuela frequently and of these visits she remembers, “I would spend time with my cousins, aunts and uncles. We would celebrate birthdays. I had my first communion there.” Adjusting to her new life and learning English was not difficult for Rosas. She said, “I was in an ESL kindergarten class. My teacher spoke in English all the time. I don’t have recollections of [learning English] being really hard.” At her parents’ insistence, Rosas spoke only in Spanish at home so she could maintain her native language. Today she listens to music in Spanish and also speaks with her parents and cousins in Venezuela to keep her Spanish sharp.

Rosas studied French in high school and continued to take courses at USF. In the spring of 2008, she studied for a semester at the Catholic Institute of Paris in France. By the end of the semester, she was fluent. Rosas now speaks three languages and is learning a fourth: Portugese.

Of the study abroad experience, she said “I really enjoyed feeling like a foreigner and being completely lost to my surroundings, regaining a sense of self, making my own niche in a different society and discovering what it means to be a global citizen.”

Through a liberation theology course, Rosas was offered the opportunity to travel to El Salvador to observe firsthand how liberation theology was affecting communities.  Within a few months of this trip, Rosas again boarded a plane for Central America. Last summer as part of a service learning based project, Rosas interned at the Foundation for Sustainable Development in Nicaragua. She worked with a women’s environmentalist group that sells products made from recycled paper, specifically working on marketing and internal management. “The knowledge I gained was how to do more with community organizing and questioning what is development and taking it further by asking what is sustainable development especially in “third world” countries,” Rosas said.

After she graduates in December, Rosas plans to continue her work at the Global Women’s Fund, where she is part of a team that receives fund proposals from different organizations, like the Central America Women’s Fund.  After taking a year off, she plans to apply to graduate school to study urban planning or architecture. She said, “Studying space is so interesting and the relationship that humans have with space and their surroundings, both manmade and natural.”

Rosas holds her world traveling experiences very dear and strives to maintain her global citizenship, which to her means “being aware that while we may have our own identities be they multicultural or not, we are all responsible for our own existence and we have to be aware of and respect others’ right to exist as well.”

38 thoughts on “Profile: Ivana Rosas, Globally Minded Senior”

1. Set up a calendar next to your computer screen,
    if possible, so you can keep track of dates and deadlines.
    You want to send as many targeted viewers as you can to
    your webpages with the idea that they will opt in to your list.
    Make big money through affiliate network is a recent trend among internet marketer.

2. I will immediately clutch your rss feed as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly allow me recognize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.

3. This is anywhere from two to three times the cost of a standard mattress.

A memory foam mattress cover is a form of mattress foam which is denser than the actual mattress and its density is more than ordinary memory foam.

Shortly thereafter, the product caught on with the general public.

Feel free to visit my web-site … Mattress Wedge Reviews – http://www.youtube.com -

4. Considering the fact that I’m now aware of how vogue wow gold online are, I recently purchased this just one. I had been out in the wow gold online pretty a great deal all day . !! I spent all day at a football game, correctly manner. Do your come to feel right!!

5. NO We havent tried the item still, nevertheless nick operates House windows Hard drive Storage space regarding the vSphere area consequently ill be sure to refer to it to your pet to get when he tries to improvement. We will inform you our usage Did you ever before produce WSS iSCSI target use ESXi five. zero Haven’t tried… do they offer a known matter? I actually want to improvement a new fellow workers group thursday night and is using WSS as his / her SAN

6. Even if the fine print tells you that is a p2p, the fact that occur to be averted coming from maintaining the item (short regarding enhancing startup in msconfig) is still an important matter.

7. We’ve installed/used skybb for any week currently and not recognized that until eventually I happened on this internet site through a random a search engine…

8. I think The apple company could include a few of this specific items yearly ipad device upgrade, simply because My partner and i question precisely why apple ipad tablet should not come with enjoys connected with: HARDWARE Dock, Multi-tasking, Drag & drop Data Supervision, SD position as well as other vital software program along with equipment for any gadget system.

9. Hmmmm! oh yea their like an addon will it be… Expensive! darn.. almost all their components are darn really costly. -= Chethan’s last weblog… ten Amazing Features of Ubuntu ten. apr. LTS Discharge upon September 28 =-.

10. I have study some great items below. Undoubtedly really worth bookmarking to get revisiting. We speculate just how much hard work you put for making a really spectacular informative website.

11. Regularly the bare is very small and it should be able to be the
    next step to difficult to catch a glimpse of.

Also, studies have found where it a dummy during difficult procedures, for example , a vaccination shot,
    also can ease the actual child’s irritation. Sometimes,
    replacing of the filter will do the job.