No Shame in Slumming it this Summer

The summer after my sophomore year, despite high hopes of résumé-boosting internships, or at least a well-paying restaurant job, I ended up working in the dreaded fast food industry. One moment I was a stellar student at a four year university, the next I was literally asking, “Do you want fries with that?” This was obviously not the glamorous summer that I had spent spring semester dreaming of. However, amidst that greasy fast food haven, I ended up learning about more than flipping burgers.

I didn’t set out to work at a fast food establishment, but as luck would have it, a couple of internships I applied for fell through, and the coffee shop I worked at throughout high school was fully staffed.

I began my job hunt as soon as school let out. In my arrogance, I drove right past the fast food joints, which line every other corner of my suburban hometown. However, on my pursuit one day, I stopped into one particular location for a cold beverage. The clerk handed me an application when I mentioned to him that I was job-hunting. I turned it in the next day and was hired on the spot. Swallowing my pride, I donned a primary-colored tee-shirt and a visor, and began my career in the fast food industry.

I spent that summer taking orders, salting french fries, mopping floors and making countless milkshakes. Every two weeks, I collected a dismally low paycheck, and the cycle continued.
At times, my ethics were challenged at this job. I was well aware of the fact that overproduction of beef and corn is detrimental to the Earth’s environment, as are the copious amounts of paper, plastic and styrofoam we used to package each item. I also knew the nutritionally void food products we sold were detrimental to people’s health. I had a crisis of conscience every time I asked an obese customer, “Would you like to add bacon on your double cheeseburger?”

But of course there were the entertaining moments as well. My co-workers were the beacons of light, adding fun to a mind-numbingly dull job. I learned from them that working in the drive-through is much more fun if you make up a fake name or speak in a fictitious accent, and writing alternate lyrics to the pop songs that played on repeat can pass the time nicely.

On our ten minute breaks, I learned about their hardships, which dwarfed mine in comparison. Supporting children on a minimum wage income, overcoming addiction or living with an abusive boyfriend were some of the situations my co-workers faced, and they were around my age. It made me think how different my life might have been if I were born into slightly different circumstances, or made a few different choices…

As I came back to USF that fall, I felt ashamed to admit how I spent my summer vacation to my classmates. I listened to others talk of their trips abroad, backpacking through Europe or helping orphans in Latin America. When asked what I did all summer, I wanted to mumble unintelligibly and quickly change the subject. As much as I ultimately enjoyed my work that summer, I didn’t think my worldly and sophisticated peers at USF would understand all that I had experienced. In retrospect, however, I learned almost as much as they did that summer, and perhaps should have shared some of my insights.

It may be a bit early to start discussing summer vacation. However, I tell you this tale in order to let you know that if your ideal summer plans do fall through, and you don’t get to explore exotic lands or intern at Fortune 500 companies, you just might find adventure in the greasy kitchen at a fast food establishment near you.

39 thoughts on “No Shame in Slumming it this Summer”

1. Talking about turning lemons into lemonades, or should I say burgers into bacon cheese burgers. That experience will give you insight and empathy that will make you a far more well-rounded adult (and I don’t mean from all those milk shakes)!

2. It’s very trouble-free to find out any matter on net ass compared to books, as I
    found this article at this site.

my blog post :: getting my eex back (Alex)

3. Dr. Seuss is to children’s books as gas station taquitos are to antacid you just can’t have one without the other. Whether you got a Dr. Seuss book as your first book as a baby (as one in four American children do) or only know him from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, the odds are overwhelming that one way or another, you ran into one of Seuss’ stories before you were even old enough to read.

4. I am just commenting to let you be aware of what a incredible discovery my friend’s girl found browsing your site. She noticed a wide variety of issues, including what it is like to have an awesome coaching heart to let folks without hassle completely grasp several advanced matters. You truly exceeded our expected results. Thanks for imparting the effective, dependable, edifying and in addition cool thoughts on this topic to Janet.
    louis vuitton handbags http://www.berimbauroma.it/fonts/museo/footer.html

5. I was extremely pleased to get this web-site.I wanted to thanks for your time for this splendid read!! I unquestionably enjoying just about every small bit of it and I have you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.

6. I was incredibly pleased to discover this web-site.I wanted to thanks for your time for this splendid read!! I definitely enjoying just about every small bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.

7. Oh my goodness! an astonishing write-up dude. Thank you On the other hand I’m experiencing problem with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody obtaining identical rss problem? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

8. You’ll find definitely numerous details like that to take into consideration. Which is an excellent point to bring up. I supply the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly you will find questions like the 1 you bring up exactly where by far the most essential factor will be working in honest excellent faith. I don?t know if ideal practices have emerged about issues like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls really feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.
    jordan 13 http://khleothomas.com/profiles/blogs/time-always-goes-on-and-issues-usually-adjust-so-upgrading-need

9. 2) Peut-锚tre mon match pr茅f茅r茅 de la pi猫ce dans les jeux est mercredi quand Boise State guerre de 10 Atlantique parvenu La Salle. Boise a pas 茅t茅 pour le tournoi depuis 2008, mais est absolument r茅el, apr猫s avoir d茅j脿 battu UNLV, San Diego State et Creighton. La Salle, quant 脿 lui, fera appel 脿 une et parfois une gamme de quatre 脿 cinq de garde fond茅e sur la rapidit茅. Quelque chose doit donner, parce Boise est un lite engagement: une unit茅 de super agressif qui vont pi茅ger et vous la pression pendant 40 minutes.

10. I’m impressed, I need to say. Certainly rarely do I encounter a weblog that is both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you might have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is outstanding; the concern is something that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I am rather pleased that I stumbled across this in my search for some thing relating to this.
    cheap air jordans http://www.neighbour123.com/blog/show/how-to-remain-away-from-fake-and-low-cost-air-jordans

11. This is the correct blog for any individual who wants to find out about this subject. You comprehend so considerably its virtually challenging to argue with you (not that I actually would want?-HaHa). You undoubtedly put a brand new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Outstanding stuff, just excellent!
    jordan sneakers http://cheapjordanood.wallinside.com/

12. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read something like this prior to. So nice to discover somebody with some original thoughts on this topic. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that’s required on the web, a person having a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!
    cheap jordans http://cheapjordanoo.blog.fc2blog.us/