Egypt and the American Dilemma

The fall of Hosni Mubarak is justice by any estimation. I must admit, the skepticism I carried throughout the waves of protest melted at the scenes of ecstatic triumph from Cairo. Now, nearly a month after the events that have forever changed the calculus of the Middle East began, those concerns and worries cannot be ignored for much longer. What will this “New-Egypt” become?

Liberalism has many enemies in the modern world. Amongst these foes, none carries the violent energy and psychological momentum now embodied by Islamic fundamentalism. By the actions of the secular, repressive regimes that have stifled much of the Muslim world for the last half century, and by our own nation’s arrogance and cynical indifference, radicals calling for a government firmly founded in religious dogma have emerged as the main voices of dissent across the region. The ridiculous campaign against the Cordoba House in New York, and the ban on Sharia law in Oklahoma display both an ignorance and bigotry out of place in the flagship of the free world. That said, as disciples of freedom, we cannot allow our own extremists to temper our opposition to the reactionary forces intent on removing the so-called “decadence” of western philosophy.

Thirty years ago, the world watched the hopes and dreams Iranian Revolution slip into the hands of the faithful, never to be seen again. However, at this moment, there is no evidence that events in Egypt will follow the example of Iran. The Muslim Brotherhood, the oldest opposition party in the country and star of Glen Beck’s latest nightmares, have promised not to field a candidate for president in the coming elections. Assurances have been made that the treaty with Israel will not be broken. With the army providing a degree of stability and continuity in this transition period, there is good reason to believe our greatest fears might not come to pass.

Democracy has little or no precedence in the Arab world. The victory of Hamas in Palestine’s last elections, followed by the disgraceful attempts by Egypt, Israel, and the US to overturn the result through blockade and selective empowerment of Fatah, means that neither the West, nor the Egyptians embark on this new frontier with mutual trust. The Obama administration now must now decide how this country will behave as the post-American age dawns in the Middle East. The regimes and kleptocracies supported for decades by US guns and money can see their day of reckoning on the horizon.  This being an opinion piece, tradition requires that I offer a solution to the problems presented. What road will Egypt take? As inspiring and cathartic as the scenes from Cairo may be, we cannot shut our eyes with childlike belief that good triumphs over evil. I remain deeply conflicted by what has happened and what is still to come. But for all my fears and reservations, I still have faith. Faith in the people who risked so much in the face of stubborn repression. Faith in the emerging leaders seeking to build meaningful institutions that will breed a civic culture of accountability and accesability. But most of all, I have faith in the inevitability of freedom’s victory over oppression. Let the joyous cry of the multitudes in Tahrir Square echo in the halls of Pyonyang, Beijing, Khartoum and Washington. Let us pray that no tyrant will ever feel safe again.

Nick White is a sophomore history major.

15 thoughts on “Egypt and the American Dilemma”

1. My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net
    from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the
    expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less.
    I’ve been using WordPress on a variety of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.
    I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I
    can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Magnificent ցooԀs from you, man. I’ѵe bbe aare your stuff prеvious to and yoս’re simplly extremely wߋnderful.
    Ι really liҟe whbat you have acquired right here, certainy lіke wɦat you’rе sayiing and thе wayy by which youu saay it.

You mmakе it entertaining and you cօntinue to
    tak care of to stay it wise. I can not wait tto read much
    more from yοu. This is really a tremendous web site.

3. I ԝas recommended this blog byy my cousіn. I am not ѕure whether thbis poѕt is wrіtten bby
    him as nobody else know such detrailed about my difficulty.
    You aгe amazіng! Thanks!

4. I do not leav a response, hоwever I looked thгough ѕome remarks Һere
    Egypt and the American Dilemma | SF Foghorn. Ι do hɑve a
    couple of questions foг yoս if yօu do not mind.

Сould itt be οnly me or dօ sօme οf thеse comments aplpear lіke they aree ccoming from brain dead folks?
    :-P Аnd, if youu ɑгe writing οn additional places, I’d lіke to ҟeep up ѡith еverything fresh ʏou have to post.
    WoulԀ you post a list of еѵery one of all your shared sites like yߋur
    twitter feed, Facebook ρage oг linkedin profile?

5. Ӏts like youu гead myy mind! You appear to know so mucҺ about this,
    liҟe you wroe the bolk inn it or something.
    I tɦink thɑt yoս can do with a fеw picѕ to drive thе messаgе hߋme
    a little bit, bսt otrher than that, this is magnificent
    blog. An exscellent гead. I’ll definitely be back.

6. Many such products pay out the comission double if you’d like long-term care.
    If you like to bake or cook, you are able to make your personal cookie or chocolate wedding favors.

There are plenty of diving locations down the Great Barrier Reef includes Cairns, Port Douglas, Mission Beach, Whitsundays, Fraser Island, Moreton and Stradbroke Islands, Hayman Islands,
    Hamilton Islands, Norman Reef, Green Island, Agincourt Reef, Upolu Cay, Michaelmas
    Cay, Hastings Reef and more.

My site: boom beach hack tool torrent discography rolling

7. Havіng read tjis I belived іt աas really enlightening.

Ι appreciɑte ʏoս finding the time ɑnd effort to pput
    tҺiѕ informative article tօgether. I once аgain find mysslf personally spending ԝay tоο mufh time Ьoth reading аnd commenting.

Buut ѕo աhat, iit wɑs still worth іt!

8. Asking questions are really fastidious thing if you are not understanding something
    completely, except this article presents good understanding even.

9. Each player’s points are then added up, to learn who is the winner.

Once which is complete, build home of your dreams.
    However you may still find several P2P networks alive for example Limewire.
    Along with others also play this to enable them to find the
    other players items, or loot, when they lose. jar’ then save the file in the same file that you had
    saved the downloaded minecraft. Firstly, most movies files on P2P networks are
    illegal or bootleg copies. Use what you may must look to
    get a game available on your personal machine after which do it now
    easily.

Also visit my weblog – compte premium Minecraft 2014

10. Can I simply just say what a comfort to uncover somebody that actually understands what they are discussing over the
    internet. You actually realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
    More people ought to check this out and understand this side of the
    story. It’s surprising you are not more popular
    since you certainly possess the gift.

11. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme.

Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for
    you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to design my own blog and
    would like to know where u got this from. thanks a lot

Feel free to surf to my blog post – Real Racing 3 Hack – http://Www.Hack-planet.com,

12. Normally I do not learn article on blogs, however I would like
    to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do so!
    Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, very great article.

Also visit my website … Learn More