New Study Abroad Option in the Philippines: Casa Bayanihan

Courtesy of Evelyn Obamos

Courtesy of Evelyn Obamos

Nothing falls short for a student to take learning to another level at USF. Why not take a leap into the unknown and come back with a new perspective next semester.

USF, in collaboration with The Casa Educational Network, is offering a semester abroad called Casa Bayanihan, which translates to house cooperative endeavor.

Casa Bayanihan invites participants to a unique life zest, some may not be familiar with, but may be curious to discover without reading from a book. The quest requires a trip across the pacific to the Jesuit Ateneo de Manila University.

Through the program, USF students will be immersed into a supportive living-learning community founded on pillars of accompaniment, spirituality, and academics in the Philippines.

Currently there is one USF student officially registered for the program. Three other USF students await application approval from the two Co-Directors, Grace Carlson and Heidi Kallen. Four other students, from different Jesuit universities in the United States, will also be attending, totaling eight for the semester if all students are accepted.

Sharon Li, director of the Center for Global Education said, “The new deadline is set for December, 2nd due to the exciting scholarship notice that came out recently.”

An anonymous donation will provide a scholarship that covers 12 to 18 units of tuition, plus room and board.
“Students need to be in the Philippines before January 23rd for the first day of class and return May 23rd .”

Regarding what makes this study abroad program unique, Li said, “The program really does foster transformation… It’s a different type of challenge because students are participating in communal living, group activities, and students have to be willing to participate.”

Elaborating on the types of group activities, Li said students can expect to take part in cooking, cleaning, team building, and group reflections quite frequently.

Li also emphasized the wellness of students, discussing what students have gained from the experience. One anecdote a student shared with Li was spending the weekend traveling to the outskirts where students communed with indigenous people.
“Students have expressed a deeper sense of humility and compassion, but also a sense of serving the community even more after returning home,” Li said.

Having the chance to study under nontraditional circumstances offers many opportunities. Students can dive into a rich culture—have a chance to be a part of a community, work through challenges, and come back to serve in their own communities.
Senior Evelyn Obamos attended a shorter eight week Philippines summer program in 2010. She said one of the reasons that motivated her was her desire to explore her Filipino roots.

Quoting Filipino reform advocate, Jose Rizal, Obamos said, “S/He who does not know how to look back at where he or she came from will never get to her/his destination.”

Obamos added, “I wanted to dig deep into my Filipino roots. As a second-generation Filipino there were some gaps between my culture and identity that I was trying to bridge…the opportunity presented itself perfectly and I was able to get financial support for it.”

On her identification as Filipino-American, Obamos said she finds her story similar to other ethnic backgrounds.
“There are several layers to cultural identity. We have our individual culture that’s in our blood, and there is the culture around us that’s nurtured through assimilation.

Being able to bridge the two is still something I’m learning how to do…Everybody shares a common struggle of discovering who they are,” Obamos said.

Casa Bayanihan is a method to accompany students on that journey.

For more detailed information on the course syllabus and application process for Casa Bayanihan visit http://www.scu.edu/casa/bayanihan/.

14 thoughts on “New Study Abroad Option in the Philippines: Casa Bayanihan”

1. hello!, I enjoy your current writing quite a great deal! percentage most of us staying in touch more your own article on AMERICA ONLINE? I would like an expert with this place to be able to disentangle my difficulty. Could be that may be you! Awaiting peer you.

2. itssss great varieties……… easiest…….!!!! cheers quite a lot for expressing along with preserving every person’s time period…….. thank you I would like to be familiar with 80g this coming year. Whenever we could estimate 80G within space-age foam simply no fourth there’s 16 or not I may be interested in a new Metro-only gadget which includes Xbox 360 integration, I love the hardwood program, but There are not any curiosity about Windows as being a personal computer OS nowadays. Too many infections, spyware and adware, crashes, so many complications. The particular Macintosh personal computer is often a outstanding personal computer OS without dives in addition to difficulties, however the iPad to me feels as though the plaything nevertheless and unattainable really serious work on it besides writing and reading some limited messages. My spouse and i imagine this is a constraint to be able to pills, however ‘microsoft’ is definitely an business office productiveness business whenever anyone can pull off some sort of effective pill its these individuals.

3. also can allow you to “Make your skill appear to be the result of mastication. very well Check out the made this specific company logo principle for my own, personal style organization soon after dealing with Von Glitscha’s reserve, Vector Basic Schooling. They represents his overall creative procedure coming from sketching difficult thumbnails “analog” design,

4. Can anyone please show me how to take away the action menus from the elgg web page in addition to modify typically the my very own and buddies webpage ?nternet site need. I want to affect the formatting from the display whenever said within the photography Great internet site it is, I use bookmarked as their favorite this within my chrome, all the best.

5. Can anyone i highly recommend you explaine to me how you can eliminate the activity selection in the elgg web site as well as modify the actual acquire as well as pals web site ?nternet site will need. I have to affect the file format from the display while commented around the image Good web site this really is, We have book-marked this with my firefox, regards.

6. There are actually generally down sides whilst comparing a physical object with a splash various other object., To sum up points We think you will have in contrast the apple ipad using a Atom motorized Laptop Properly I did not realize some points which might be certainly not within Apple’s iPad. Even though a apple ipad has its limitations, it has a fine traits. It is possible to hold and it has good efficiency. I will say apple ipad tablet will a great hit like iphone 3gs.

7. heya we by accident deleted my very own htaccess data file, very cud any one assist me to out and about can certainly make money cud input it bak??? pls fast I’m managing Filezilla three or more. 2 . 8. one particular plus the technique of featuring. htaccess is promoting.

8. I seriously loved looking at your own personal article. You choose a few excellent points I became simply searching for these records for quite a while. Soon after half a dozen time regarding constant Googleing, ultimately I obtained the item in your website. I ask yourself precisely typically the Google’s problem that does not rank this informative sites closer to the top. Generally the highest internet sites contain rubbish.