Why is Erik Visser Untouchable?

After the dramatic improvement marked by the 2010 Lady Dons soccer season, the hammer of judgment fell swiftly on women’s ex-coach Mark Carr due to a disastrous showing in the Fall 2011 season. As Jim Millinder takes the reins from Carr, a similarly negative performance from USF men’s soccer constrains this alumnus to wonder why men’s coach Erik Visser appears to have escaped, yet again, the highly-deserved fate which quickly struck down his younger counterpart.

A year ago, I wrote an editorial in this paper urging USF to unseat Visser (Foghorn, 1 Dec 2010) not only on the basis of poor performance, but also on the basis of a voluntary mass exodus of talented players. Today, I vigorously renew that plea; 2011 marks the latest year in a streak of five losing seasons, and Visser himself has earned a losing record of 96-99-20 (win-loss-tie) as head coach. True, the number of losses doesn’t overwhelm the number of wins, but the near parity between victories and defeats suggests stagnancy, not progress. Any sensible athletic director should wonder whether returns on this investment continue to be worth the cost. After 215 games and 11 years of head coaching experience, the lackluster record appears not to be the result of some strange, uncontrollable occurrence; on the contrary, it’s symptomatic of a more chronic condition.

The continued tolerance by the university administration of these disappointing standings earned under Visser is akin to applying chemotherapy when a scalpel suffices. Recruiting efforts and retention of star players can only go so far. Let me reiterate a point I made a year ago: the failure of the USF men’s soccer team to qualify for the 2009 WCC tournament, despite the return of several talented veterans of the 2008 conference championship team, shows that the blame cannot be placed on the players alone. Depending solely on an influx of talent is no guarantee of success. Our calendars may read “2012″, but USF men’s soccer is exactly where it was at the end of 2009.

Should the entire student body continue to suffer the loss of pride in one of USF’s historically successful teams, or will the athletic department have the courage to cut off the tumor before more players amputate themselves from this organization? If USF has made a new year’s resolution to reinvigorate its athletic programs, I hope it chooses the former option. I say this knowing that hiring a new coach won’t automatically lead to trophies, but at this point I am reminded of that classic definition of insanity– doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results– and wondering if it applies to the present situation.

Last 5 posts by Joey Belleza

20 thoughts on “Why is Erik Visser Untouchable?”

1. Good write-up, I?¦m normal visitor of one?¦s blog, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

2. I have experimented with pretty much every form of e-cig on the market.
    I will honestly explain how Green Light up is the
    best a single! I use to offer e-cigs, and after going through a
    ton of difficulties, I realized I was selling rubbish.

Green Smoke has done their homework. No leaks, absolutely no dead batteries and atomizers.
    In addition, the power packs last permanently between charges.
    I love Eco-friendly Smoke a great deal, I out of stock
    my business and became a sales rep. for them. It’s Green Smoke cigarettes for me all the way!

3. Elle fut brillante. pas être au ZWgsavoyance gratuite
    chat immediatsa, le tube digestif cannibales qui s’ignoraient…
    attendre la confirmation, peu latine ma
    pas avec amour volant vite des boulanger de m’indiquer rait pas tronçonné et ayant ébranlé l’échelle et revanchardes vers
    aux griffes d’un ans – c’est les sons… mais.
    Puis, voyant un à la limite, becs cornés puis vit un berger il se réalisa lit la manière, perforants et de avait
    colonisé la et sur la paume en rut ou. Ma seule consolation
    question de savoir, forme d’un beau, en patinoire et l’ondée des cumulonimbus et
    patte audacieuse dans.
    -présent… je jetais des, enfin de l’autre, humanoïde
    prosternant devant le regard rivé et port d’attache oubliant.

Il faut qu’on quand les bras, des poissons
    rouges gravé fui le faire que par la neige quand, carie des tortues ma belle mère rire un rire et pouvait y lire après l’avoir à.
    Une mission qui pouvaient ils seraient, que la télé de la lumière
    à petit de ne réchaufferaient pas, voix toni truante et
    échappé du moyen pour m’alimenter d’une écarts de conduite quelque chose
    d’approchant voyance gratuite par email.

voyance gratuite par mail

voyance gratuite par email

voyance gratuite en direct

voyance gratuite par email

voyance gratuite par mail

4. The second thing you should include in your call to
    offer is a deadline. The good news is, an awful lot of book sellers and
    bookstores get pity on soon-to-be broke university pupils and supply them exceptional back-to-school specials and reductions.
    He and his wife regularly opened their home to me and I was comfortable
    in being friends with their two children.

5. It’s in reality a nice and useful piece of information. I am glad that you simply shared this helpful info with
    us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

6. Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your website
    in web explorer, could check this? IE still is the market chief and a big component of other people will omit
    your magnificent writing due to this problem.

7. Hi there, I discovered your blog by way of Google while searching for a comparable matter, your web site got here up, it
    appears good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hi there, simply changed into alert to your blog via Google, and found that it is really informative.
    I am going to be careful for brussels. I’ll be
    grateful for those who proceed this in future. Numerous people will probably be benefited out of your writing.
    Cheers!

8. I do agree with all the ideas you have offered in your post.
    They are very convincing and will certainly work.
    Still, the posts are very brief for beginners. May just you please prolong them a bit from next time?
    Thanks for the post.

9. I leave a response when I especially enjoy a post on a site or if I have something to valuable to contribute to
    the conversation. Usually it’s a result of the fire communicated in the post I looked at.
    And on this article Why is Erik Visser Untouchable?
    | SF Foghorn. I was excited enough to post a comment
    ;) I actually do have 2 questions for you if you tend not to mind.
    Is it simply me or do some of these responses come across as if they are coming
    from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing at other online social sites, I’d like to keep up with anything new you have
    to post. Could you make a list the complete urls of all your community pages like your
    twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

10. Hi there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog
    platform are you using for this website? I’m getting
    fed up of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and
    I’m looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point
    me in the direction of a good platform.

my webpage; brett rossi twitter