The Bay Area Touring Side (BATS), which is a compilation of women’s rugby players from the University of San Francisco, San Francisco State and Community College of San Francisco, defeated Humboldt State this past weekend by a score of 15-5 at Negoesco Field.
The already physical game was made even more so by the wet conditions on the turf due to unrelenting rainfall. The undefeated BATS came out determined to stomp their also undefeated Northern California competition, especially after a sour defeat last time the two met.
Sally Le, the scrum half from San Francisco State, scored two try’s for the BATS and Victoria Ysrael of USF scored the third. In rugby each try is worth 5 points and is scored by downing the ball in the in-goal area, which is between the goal line and the dead-ball line at the ends of each side of the field.
“ It was an awesome win, especially because the team has been working so hard to achieve collegiate status,” said Victoria Ysrael.
In order for USF to have a collegiate women’s rugby team, players from SFSU and CCSF would not be allowed to play. At this point, 4 years after the team’s creation, many of the team’s strongest players come from those universities and so to lose them would greatly hurt the BATS’ talent.
San Francisco State’s Brittany Rickman, the team captain of the backs, had a great game as well. The role of the backs is to create and convert point-scoring opportunities using their speed and agility. Rickman consistently succeeded at getting the ball out of the breakdown to the backs where Humboldt was weak.
Humboldt scored their one and only try on a debatable play in the corner, after the BATS assumed they had pushed the opposing player out of bounds.
Last 5 posts by Matt Mcdonald
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt to Speak at USF About Not For Sale Campain - April 26th, 2012
- Women's Tennis Earns Seventh Seed into WCC Tournament After Senior Day Victory - April 26th, 2012
- Dons Track Tallies Two Victories at Rafer Johnson/Jackie Joyner Kersee Invitational - April 19th, 2012
- San Francisco's "Mr. Baseball" Remembered For His Passion and Generosity - April 12th, 2012
- Dons Golf Faces Top Competition at 2012 US Intercollegiate Tournament - April 12th, 2012