Dons Go 1-1 on the Weekend With Win Over LMU, Loss to USD

The San Francisco Dons used a balanced offensive attack to defeat the Loyola Marymount Lions 2-0 for their third shutout of the season last Friday night at Negoesco Stadium. 

Redshirt freshman forward Jacob Talarman and freshman midfielder Jesus Del Toro each scored their first goals of the season and propelled the Dons to victory on Dia de los Dons Hispanic Heritage night.

Talarman’s goal came in the 41st minute after he sent a strong shot into the goal following a one-on-one showdown with Loyola Marymount goalkeeper Paul Blanchette. The score remained 1-0 heading into halftime, and USF held a 6-3 shot advantage over LMU (3-9-2, 1-4-1 WCC).

San Francisco maintained their narrow lead for most of the second 45-minute period, until Del Toro struck in the 84th minute. His improbable goal came off of a mistake from Blanchette, who was unable to clear the ball and found himself out of position. The ball careened toward Del Toro, who blasted the ball into the net from 40 yards out and gave the Dons a 2-0 lead that they would not relinquish.

The shutout was preserved for the Dons by senior goalkeeper Brendan Roslund, who benefitted from strong defensive play and boosted his saves total to 38 on the season. By the game’s end, USF had outshot LMU 14-6, with Talarman boasting four shots, three of them on target.

On Sunday afternoon at Negoesco Stadium, San Francisco was bested 2-0 by the San Diego Toreros.

The Dons fell to 5-5-2 (3-3-0 WCC) on the year, and the Toreros improved to 7-6-0 (5-1-0 WCC) and are now tied with Santa Clara for the number one spot in the standings.

“I don’t think we played our best,” junior midfielder Mauricio Diaz de Leon said. “This was tough coming back from that battle on Friday, and we just didn’t have that same energy today.”

Patrick Wallen gave USD a 1-0 lead in the 30th minute following a frenetic sequence which ended unfortunately for the Dons. After San Diego’s Dan Delgado had his penalty kick knocked away by Roslund, the ball bounced back to him and he attempted a second shot, which Roslund again thwarted. However, the ball caromed towards Wallen who sent the ball into the net for the Toreros. 

In the 36th minutes the Dons were awarded a penalty kick of their own, but Diaz de Leon’s well-placed strike was expertly saved by USD goalkeeper Drew Ilijevski. 

The match was evenly played, with the Dons getting multiple opportunities to equalize the score until the 73rd minute, when Sergio Lopez scored for the Toreros off of a corner kick. 

San Francisco took 11 shots in the game to San Diego’s 14, and sophomore forward Miguel Aguilar led the Dons with three attempts on goal.

“Personally, I just have to go back to fundamentals,” Diaz de Leon said. “And as a team, I wish we had brought the same chemistry that we had on Friday, because every game counts.”

USF now has some time to reflect and recuperate, as they do not play their next game until Oct. 26. Coincidentally, this game is another matchup against the Toreros, this time in San Diego. The Dons will no doubt be well prepared following their frustrating loss on Sunday.

“We had a couple of open opportunities that we should have taken advantage of, and I think these 12 days of rest will help us get better on that,” Diaz de Leon said.

*Written by Staff Writer Hayden Gehr; Heidi Patton is the Sports Editor

31 thoughts on “Dons Go 1-1 on the Weekend With Win Over LMU, Loss to USD”

1. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an extremely long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m
    not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say great blog!

2. An interesting discussion is worth comment. I do believe that you need to publish
    more on this issue, it might not be a taboo subject but usually people don’t speak about these subjects.
    To the next! Many thanks!!

3. I like such wow gold. They’re clothing and cozy. It looks like these are incredibly fashionable. My spouse and i provide him or her all over, quite possibly in the house, due to the fact it has been stand out. I actually find it difficult to perceived to look for something adverse about the subject. Be grateful for a real superb item!

4. Aw, this was a certainly nice post. In concept I would like to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and actual effort to make a really fantastic article?- but what can I say?- I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something carried out.
    air jordans

5. One can find absolutely numerous details like that to take into consideration. That is an excellent point to bring up. I present the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly you will discover questions like the 1 you bring up exactly where essentially the most essential thing are going to be working in honest great faith. I don?t know if ideal practices have emerged about items like that, but I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.
    jordans outlet

6. Can I just say what a relief to obtain someone who basically knows what theyre talking about online. You surely know easy methods to bring an concern to light and make it valuable. Even more people must read this and comprehend this side of the story. I cant think youre not extra common because you undoubtedly have the gift.
    cheap jordans

7. When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you are able to get rid of me from that service? Thanks!
    cheap shoes

8. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read something like this prior to. So nice to acquire somebody with some original thoughts on this topic. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is some thing that is necessary on the internet, an individual with a small originality. beneficial job for bringing something new to the internet!
    jordan 13

9. Can I just say what a relief to find a person who basically knows what theyre talking about online. You certainly know the right way to bring an concern to light and make it critical. Additional individuals need to read this and comprehend this side of the story. I cant think youre not alot more favorite given that you definitely have the gift.
    cheap jordans online

10. I’m impressed, I must say. Certainly rarely do I encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the issue is some thing that not enough many people are speaking intelligently about. I am really pleased that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.
    jordans cheap

11. You’ll find surely lots of details like that to take into consideration. That is an incredible point to bring up. I supply the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are actually questions like the one you bring up exactly where by far the most valuable factor will be working in honest wonderful faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged around points like that, but I’m positive that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.
    jordans outlet