After Tough Loss to Rivals Santa Clara, Dons Come Back to Sweep Gonzaga

The Dons sprung back from a heartbreaking five set loss last Thursday against Santa Clara to sweep the Gonzaga Bulldogs on Saturday afternoon at War Memorial Gym.

USF (14-11, 5-6 WCC) controlled the entire match against the Bulldogs of Spokane, Wash., winning 25-22, 25-16, 25-17 in three exciting sets.

The first set was the most closely contested, and, other than a early 7-0 run by the Dons, was a back-and-forth battle throughout. The Bulldogs tied the score at 10-10, and again at 22-22 before USF took off on a three-point run for the victory.

Feeding off the momentum of the winning a close first set, the Dons took sets two and three almost effortlessly, completing the sweep of the Bulldogs (9-16, 11-1 WCC).

Freshman outside hitter Ester de Vries led the Dons offensively, with 12 kills on .250 attacking. Following de Vries was sophomore middle block Valentina Zaloznik, junior outside hitter Malina Terrell, and senior outside hitter Jocelyn Levig, each with 10 kills apiece. Terrell chipped in a block and Levig contributed two aces to San Francisco’s offensive effort.

While the offense was clearly a strong point against Gonzaga, Head Coach Gilad Doron attributes the win to the team’s tough defensive play, particularly from redshirt sophomore libero Rebecca Kopilovitch.

“Defensively —21 digs in three games — she (Kopilovitch) just didn’t want any ball to drop, and that is contagious. We have four players in double figures in digs. It starts with the defensive effort and it continues with how we are attacking,” Doron said to usfdons.com. “I think Becky’s effort regardless of the competition is just unbelievable. She’s been rock-solid for us the past few months with her hustle play, with her energy and with the will to just not let any ball get on the floor. It’s definitely great to have her on our side.”

Kopilovitch finished the match with the team lead in digs with 21, followed by senior outside hitter Alycia Cox with 17, senior setter Leanna Ludes with 13 and Levig, who snagged a double-double in kills and digs with 10 of each.

Cox has been challenged with moving positions, and has found success in the back row.

“I’ve been working a lot in practice, working on my footwork, my position, basically just being ready for anything and running it down if I can,” Cox said.

“We have enough talent around us that we can spread that ball better and it’s a function of how well we pass the ball,” Doron said. “If we pass the ball well we can set anyone on any given day.”

The Dons’ defeat of Gonzaga continues a streak of nearly three years in which San Francisco has been victorious against the Bulldogs. USF is not so fortunate to hold a winning streak against rivals Santa Clara, whom they fell to in a very close match last week. But USF will have a chance to redeem themselves in their next match at Santa Clara on Nov. 8.

“We didn’t play as well as we can but….we played hard,” Doron said of the Santa Clara match.

“If each of us individually can do one more good thing, one more support for a teammate, that can really make a difference,” Kopilovitch added.

71 thoughts on “After Tough Loss to Rivals Santa Clara, Dons Come Back to Sweep Gonzaga”

1. Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us have created some nice procedures and we are looking to trade solutions with others, why
    not shoot me an e-mail if interested.

Look into my web page; goldankauf

2. I rarely comment, however after reading a few of the comments here After Tough Loss
    to Rivals Santa Clara, Dons Come Back to Sweep Gonzaga | SF Foghorn. I do
    have 2 questions for you if it’s allright. Is it
    just me or does it give the impression like a
    few of these remarks come across like they are coming from brain dead visitors?
    :-P And, if you are posting at additional places,
    I would like to follow you. Would you make a list of every one of your public sites
    like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

my web site … dvere

3. Hello this is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering
    if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code
    with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how
    so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Feel free to surf to my weblog; giong hat viet

4. I have read so many content about the blogger lovers except this piece of writing is genuinely a nice paragraph,
    keep it up.

Here is my homepage: web site (Cecilia)

5. Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have
    any issues with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I
    ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to
    no data backup. Do you have any solutions to stop
    hackers?

Also visit my homepage :: club penguin codes

6. Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after going through
    many of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m certainly happy I came across it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking
    back frequently!

Visit my blog: ukash al

7. Greate pieces. Keep writing such kind of information on your
    page. Im really impressed by your blog.
    Hey there, You’ve performed a great job. I will certainly digg it and in my view recommend to my
    friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this web
    site.

Have a look at my page; wallpaper desktop national geographic free (Titus)

8. you are in reality a good webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing.
    It sort of feels that you’re doing any unique trick.

Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a
    great task in this matter!

9. Howdy! This blog post could not be written much better!
    Going through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He constantly kept preaching about this. I am going to send
    this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
    Thanks for sharing!

10. I don’t know if it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering problems with your site.
    It seems like some of the text within your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know
    if this is happening to them as well? This may be a issue with
    my web browser because I’ve had this happen before. Cheers

11. I have been browsing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any
    interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.

In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web
    will be much more useful than ever before.

Feel free to visit my weblog :: star stable cheat codes

12. obviously like your website however you need to take
    a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
    A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to tell the reality nevertheless
    I’ll certainly come again again.