No Conflict for Me in Embracing Both Christianity and Gay Marriage

When asked about my religion, I openly identify as a Christian.  With this admission come the stigmas and accusatory questions often associated with being one:  Why don’t you believe in same sex marriages? Who are you to decide whom we can and can’t love?  I always give the same answer.  I believe in same sex marriages, love whoever you want; I have no say in what goes on in your life.

I thought you said you were a Christian? I am.

Growing up in a fairly liberal, Christian household in San Francisco, it’s never been an issue to have seemingly conflicting values. I attended Christian private schools from preschool through 8th grade, learning and memorizing Bible verses and parables until I was able to recite on demand.  Though thoroughly educated in the principles of Christianity, I was raised under the belief that I had the right to make my own decisions, uninhibited by the confines of the religion I was educated in.  As a result, I only grasped onto what I felt were the most important components of Christianity.  I believe in God. I believe Jesus died for our sins. I believe God is not a hateful God, and I believe that we are all equal under Him.

It was not until after my first few years of college that I came into contact with someone who could not fathom nor accept a Christian who believed in same sex marriages.  In response, I divulged that I could not fathom a person condemning another for simply loving the person of their choice.  It is true that the Bible states that God meant for a man to wed a woman, and I respect that and I will not personally go against this, but I do not criticize others for choosing otherwise.  I see nothing immoral with someone loving another, and do not understand why more radical, conservative Christians feel the need to target this “sin” in particular. The belief that violating God’s wish that man love a woman is more immoral than that of stealing, lying, or adultery, especially when homosexuality is completely without malicious intent, is incomprehensible to me. I will not deny a person their right to love freely.  I’ve seen, and still see, some of my closest friends struggle with homosexuality and the repercussions of coming out, and hold the deepest respect for them and those alike who have endured regardless.  So, if some question my Christianity simply because I choose not to hate another for loving unreservedly, then so be it.  I am a Christian regardless of what others will think me to be, and I do not fault them for being as narrow minded as they believe I should be.

94 thoughts on “No Conflict for Me in Embracing Both Christianity and Gay Marriage”

1. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your
    web site and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Anyway I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access
    consistently quickly.

Take a look at my weblog club penguin codes

2. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but
    I find this matter to be really something which I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and very broad for me.
    I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

My web-site :: Apartment in Dubai

3. Hey there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?

Thanks a lot!

Take a look at my blog post :: petro

4. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my site so i came
    to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of
    your ideas!!

5. Ses apparitions scéniques l’ont largement prouvé, Brel qui avait très tôt goûté au théâtre dans un troupe d’amateurs, met en avant ses talents d’acteur. En 1968, il monte le spectacle musical “L’Homme de la Mancha”, avec Dario Moreno.

6. Saks owns its New York store on 5th Avenue that analysts have valued at $800 million. Neiman Marcus leases its two Bergdorf Goodman locations in Manhattan. chains Nordstrom and Target in the expansion north. Canada is a market that has about the same population as California. and Canada and three e commerce sites. The combined company would have had sales of $7.2 billion last year.

7. Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog web site?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I have been a little
    bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

My blog post star stable cheats

8. I’m no longer sure the place you’re getting your information, but great topic.
    I needs to spend a whipe studying more oor figuuring out more.

Thanks for great information I was searching for this info for my mission.