Budget Bickering in D.C. Can Mean Serious Cuts to Higher Education Access

Early on in his State of the Union address, the President spoke about the need for cooperation between both parties during the upcoming budget negotiations. He pointed out that $2.5 trillion in deficit reduction has come through spending cuts, and that more will be needed on the tax revenue side to get to the desired $4 trillion goal.

This $4 trillion mark, which comes from economists on both sides of the aisle, is seen as being a good “down payment” on the nation’s debt. But what kind of editorial about Washington would this be without mentioning an impending budgetary fight? Another deadline is looming for Congress, and that deadline is the sequester date: March 1st. The so-called sequester is a group of large budget cuts ranging from defense all the way to nondiscretionary spending worth $1 trillion, taking effect over one year.

This possible reality of a massive cut across all aspects of the federal budget has serious implications for everyone with a loan from the federal government. If the sequester were to go into effect tomorrow, Department of Education would certainly not be spared; it would be expected to lose $725 million in Title I programs (for kids in families under the poverty line) and $598 million in aid for disabled students, public schools and schools under the jurisdiction of the Department of Defense.

While these cuts do not directly affect the Deptartment’s ability to give out loans, less money would likely translate into a change in what qualifies to get a loan for higher education; many people who were able to get a federal loan before, in other words, may not be eligible this time around. Federal loans are a huge reason I, personally, can attend USF, and I know my story is not unique. These cuts to the Deptartment of Education may not seem too worrisome now, but with a string of budget battles in our foreseeable future, these present cuts could set a threatening precedent of budget slashing and would greatly affect the ability of many of us Dons (and many college students in general) to even hope of getting a decent, affordable college education.

24 thoughts on “Budget Bickering in D.C. Can Mean Serious Cuts to Higher Education Access”

1. we like to honor numerous other world-wide-web websites on the web, even though they aren?t linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages truly worth checking out

2. Attractive component of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession
    capital to claim that I acquire in fact loved account your blog posts.
    Any way I’ll be subscribing in your feeds or even I success you access persistently quickly.

3. Magnificent website. A lot of helpful info here. I am sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you for your effort!

4. It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future
    and it’s time to be happy. I have learn this publish and if I could I wish to suggest
    you few interesting things or suggestions.
    Perhaps you can write next articles relating to this article.
    I wish to learn more issues about it!

Feel free to visit my webpage :: pure garcinia cambogia

5. I wish to show my thanks to the writer just for bailing me out of this type of crisis. Because of searching throughout the the net and finding advice which are not helpful, I thought my entire life was over. Living devoid of the strategies to the difficulties you have resolved as a result of this guide is a crucial case, and the ones that would have badly damaged my career if I had not noticed your blog. Your skills and kindness in dealing with the whole lot was very useful. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t come across such a thing like this. It’s possible to at this moment look forward to my future. Thanks very much for this specialized and sensible help. I will not hesitate to suggest your blog post to any individual who will need assistance about this area.
    Cheap Louis Vuitton dog bag http://www.indianpod.com/louisvuitton/Cheap-Louis-Vuitton-dog-bag.html