An Extra Innings Victory and Two Key Home Runs For Dons in Series Win over St. Mary’s

baseball

This past Easter weekend, the USF Dons played host to rivals in the WCC, the Saint Mary’s Gaels, at Benedetti Diamond. The series ran from Thursday to Saturday, and resulted in the Diamond Dons taking two out of three from the visiting Gaels. With the series win, USF improved to a season record of 13-14 and 5-4 in the WCC.

The three game set did not start out well for the Dons, with them dropping the first game to the Gaels 6-0. Saint Mary’s starter Ben Griset was dominant, allowing just four hits and striking out 10 en route to a complete game shutout. Sophomore outfielder Bradley Zimmer went 2-for-3 of the day while sophomore third baseman Bob Cruikshank and redshirt senior outfielder Bob Mott contributed one hit each. Other than the lack of offensive spark, the Dons’ poor defense played the biggest role in the upsetting loss. USF committed a season-high five errors, leading to three unearned runs by the Gaels, and ultimately the loss.

On Friday afternoon, the Dons turned it around and showed extreme resilience on the field, earning the win in extra innings. Just a day after their disappointing loss, USF displayed stellar defense behind junior starting pitcher Alex Balog and senior reliever Haden Hinkle, robbing the Gaels of a handful of hits and keeping the game close. The Dons jumped ahead early, pushing two runs across in the first inning and padding their lead with a double from Cruikshank that drove in a run in the third. Though Saint Mary’s came back to score two runs in the fourth and one in the fifth, USF managed to limit the damage to send the game into extra innings. With the score tied at three in the top of the ninth, senior center fielder Justin Maffei made a spectacular diving catch that robbed the Gaels’ leadoff hitter of extra bases.

Zimmer led off the bottom of the tenth with a walk. Pinch-hitter freshman Harrison Bruce immediately followed with a sacrifice bunt to advance Zimmer to second. With two outs and a runner on second, Mott drew a walk, leading to a two out, two on situation for sophomore first baseman Brendan Hendriks. Hendriks drove the first pitch he saw up the middle to score Zimmer and give the Dons the walk-off victory, besting the Gaels 4-3 in 10 innings.

After the game, Hendriks credited the two Dons pitchers, Balog and Hinkle, for keeping them in the game and giving the team the chance to win. He also acknowledged the team’s offensive strength at the end of the game.

“I was just glad to have the opportunity. They put together good at-bats ahead of me, Bob Mott had a great walk there, gave me the chance, and I got lucky. The ball got through, and I’ll take it,” Hendriks said of his game winning hit.

Riding on the momentum of game two, USF took the victory in the last game of the series 2-1. Through four innings, the Dons’ bats stayed relatively quiet. In the bottom of the fifth with one out, senior left fielder Mitchell Rowan and Hendriks ignited the offense with back-to-back singles before junior shortstop Josh Miller connected with a long home run into left field, tying the game at four apiece. In the sixth inning, Zimmer proceeded to seal the win with a line-drive home run to right field, and the Dons eventually defeated the Gaels 5-4.

The Diamond Dons will head for a nine game road trip and return to play a three game series at Benedetti Diamond against Loyola Marymount on April 19.

50 thoughts on “An Extra Innings Victory and Two Key Home Runs For Dons in Series Win over St. Mary’s”

1. It can be an Energy Star appliance to suit or exceeds federal requirements for power efficient use.
    The sole method to fix it can be with the help of a dehumidifier.
    Since the home dehumidifier is centralized, you won’t need to worry about having noise in most room you’ll want to dehumidify.

2. If? you are looking for a really simple way to add new content to your website daily, without having to write a new article everyday … you need a blog! Maybe you already have a blog but have not posted to it in a long while because of all the time it takes to write a post for each of your blogs. Updating a blog daily is the best way to organically grow your websites.. . To Automate Your Blog Go To: tinyurl(DOT)com/automatedblogging

3. Hello! This is my first visit to your blog! We are
    a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in tthe same niche.
    Your blog provided us valuable inforation to work on. You have done a outstanding job!

Visit my website :: viagra online

4. Congratulations! Here’s the prize passcode: OBAZO1. You’ll need this later on. It is really
    for a special opt-in promotion in order to get a little something completely
    free. We’ll use our software to browse blog sites all over the internet
    to watch out for our champ in 30 days time!

5. Hi, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening
    in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you
    a quick heads up! Other then that, terrific blog!

6. Everybody wants to win the lottery, but most men and women tend not to even have a one blessed number on the ticket. So how do you boost your possibility of succeeding? Well much of the time it happens by mere probability. The more lottery tickets you’ve got,the more success favor’s you. But there are several individuals who think there’s more to it than that.

7. I think everything posted was very logical.
    However, what about this? suppose you were to write a killer title?
    I ain’t suggesting your content isn’t solid., however suppose you
    added something that grabbed a person’s attention? I mean An Extra Innings Victory and Two Key
    Home Runs For Dons in Series Win over St. Mary’s | SF Foghorn is a little plain. You ought to look at Yahoo’s front page and see how they create news titles to grab people interested.

You might add a video or a pic or two to get people interested about what you’ve written. In my opinion, it could make your posts a little bit more interesting.

8. OK Just downloadable SBB but not happy with it all specifically no uninstall selections taken off often the SBB in addition to Web Construction elemnents from User interface although KHost and KService stay consequently getting double moment for anti virus computer software on top of that right up etcetera etc can easily anyone help me take them of permenantly! Many thanks forward I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS! That is *wrong*! Can it be not really throughout go against regarding agreement? This pulls…

9. Its such as you learn my mind! Yoou seem to grasp a
    lot approximately this, like you wrote the guie in it or something.
    I believe that you can do with some % to drive the message house a bit, however instead
    of that, that is great blog. A fantastic read.
    I will definitely be back.

My website oxycodone

10. I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish be delivering the
    following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

Here is my homepage … webpage (Juliet)

11. Pingback: Google
  12. The trace flag 1807 let you to bypass the check process and enables you to configure MS SQL Server
    with the networked database files. It seems likely that hackers are able to get control of these i – Pads, i – Phones and Macs because their users use the same passwords for
    their Apple IDs that they use in websites that have been previously breached (like
    e – Bay). Launch i – Tunes by clicking its icon on the Dock or in the Launchpad.

Look at my web blog; Bypass Activation Iphone

13. My partner and i found exactly the same concern while originally I became attempting to see exactly why things were being taking too long to be able to get using this service. I had developed typically the marketing case displaying inside Glass windows Taskmgr and also observed that once i give up from the plan, my networking network should still be being used. On experimenting more I came across that even if My partner and i power down the actual PERSONAL COMPUTER as well as rebooted the multilevel relationship was still being employed with software program.

14. I stumbled across the identical matter if in the beginning I became wanting to work out why stuff were being getting so long to be able to down load because of this support. I had fashioned the actual network tab displaying inside Windows Task Manager as well as realized that when I using tobacco from program, my very own network connection would still be used. Upon testing further more I stumbled upon that even if My spouse and i shut down the actual LAPTOP OR COMPUTER in addition to rebooted my very own networking connection would still be being utilized with this application.

15. I want to thank everything We to get taken out often the Skies by simply high speed broadband. I have already been blaming my internet for that bandwidth complications all of which will will have in order to appologise.

16. Howdy I am so thrilled I found your weblog, I really found you by
    error, while I was looking on Bing for something else, Regardless I am here now
    and would just like to say cheers for a fantastic post and a all round exciting
    blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but
    I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time
    I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the great b.

17. I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet visitors, its really really
    pleasant article on building up new website.

18. Pingback: IvyEnt.Tv