Online Editor David Boyle says Farewell to USF Community

169588_10151070507213335_1762424102_o (1)

In three weeks time I’ll be getting one of those pieces of paper that says I’ve completed my degree in Politics and African Studies at the University of San Francisco. You may be wondering how someone with that academic background became the online editor of the school paper and let me assure you, I’m still wondering the same thing.

It’s the Professors not the Building

A school that could allow that type of job placement is reflective of USF’s size and excellent staff that gave me the ability to follow my passions and interests no matter how far off they were from the normal curriculum path. Graduating in 2013, our class has experienced USF at an interesting time of growth- construction for a new science center, a new marketing campaign, and even a new logo and tagline. While all of these changes are positive ones, they are still just the bells and whistles to decorate the larger tenets that have continued to make this university a breeding place for great minds committed to social justice since 1855.

What truly makes USF isn’t the buildings but the teachers who occupy them. All of the professors that I interacted with throughout my four years were excellent mentors who profoundly changed the way that I think about the world and have helped to shape who I am today.

Joining the Foghorn team in my last year, I thank the Foghorn editors and staff for accepting me into their community. I also thank our advisor Professor Moore whose tireless dedication to truthful and relevant news has always made me feel like I’m apart of something larger than myself. I have full confidence in next years online editor, Matt Miller, who will be carrying the online paper on into the future.

The Future of The Foghorn

A question that come ups up regularly is whether the online could replace the print paper. If you asked me years ago, I would say ditch the paper; the Foghorn should be an online news subscription all the way. However, after sobering from the buzz of the social media cool-aid, I realize that online and print content are two different mediums that serve different purposes.

Print media is the final word. It has gone through series of editing and copywriting and serves as a physical manifestation of the happenings and conversations that have been going on in the USF community. Additionally, the ingestion of print media  fires the neurons in the left and frontal part of the brain more associated with internalizing and memorizing that information. On a lighter note, it’s pretty cool having your name up on the printed newspaper.

Digital media on the other hand is collaborative by nature and more up-to-date. It allows for ideas to spread (don’t make me say “viral”) and allows people to share news stories with their own opinions attached to them, thus fostering a stronger and more opinionated student community.

Print and digital media can’t be pitted against each other, but should be used as complements to better interact with the news and allow the Foghorn to serve as the student’s voice on campus.

Stewards not Editors

We call ourselves “editors” but really we are stewards of the paper. We’ve filled the positions of those before us, and now we pass it off to other students to do the same. The medium by which that content is distributed is important, but either way to core ethos remains: The Foghorn is a vehicle for serving as the student’s organized voice on campus.

Farewell USF Community, it was a pleasure to serve.

@DaveedBoyle

DavidBoyle.me

Last 5 posts by davidboyle

4 thoughts on “Online Editor David Boyle says Farewell to USF Community”

1. Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from
    an established blog. Is it very difficult to set up your own
    blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m
    thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

2. I was excited to discover this site. I wanted to thank you for your time for this particularly fantastic read!!

I definitely liked every bit of it and i also have you book-marked to check out new
    information on your website.