Online Editor David Boyle says Farewell to USF Community

169588_10151070507213335_1762424102_o (1)

In three weeks time I’ll be getting one of those pieces of paper that says I’ve completed my degree in Politics and African Studies at the University of San Francisco. You may be wondering how someone with that academic background became the online editor of the school paper and let me assure you, I’m still wondering the same thing.

It’s the Professors not the Building

A school that could allow that type of job placement is reflective of USF’s size and excellent staff that gave me the ability to follow my passions and interests no matter how far off they were from the normal curriculum path. Graduating in 2013, our class has experienced USF at an interesting time of growth- construction for a new science center, a new marketing campaign, and even a new logo and tagline. While all of these changes are positive ones, they are still just the bells and whistles to decorate the larger tenets that have continued to make this university a breeding place for great minds committed to social justice since 1855.

What truly makes USF isn’t the buildings but the teachers who occupy them. All of the professors that I interacted with throughout my four years were excellent mentors who profoundly changed the way that I think about the world and have helped to shape who I am today.

Joining the Foghorn team in my last year, I thank the Foghorn editors and staff for accepting me into their community. I also thank our advisor Professor Moore whose tireless dedication to truthful and relevant news has always made me feel like I’m apart of something larger than myself. I have full confidence in next years online editor, Matt Miller, who will be carrying the online paper on into the future.

The Future of The Foghorn

A question that come ups up regularly is whether the online could replace the print paper. If you asked me years ago, I would say ditch the paper; the Foghorn should be an online news subscription all the way. However, after sobering from the buzz of the social media cool-aid, I realize that online and print content are two different mediums that serve different purposes.

Print media is the final word. It has gone through series of editing and copywriting and serves as a physical manifestation of the happenings and conversations that have been going on in the USF community. Additionally, the ingestion of print media  fires the neurons in the left and frontal part of the brain more associated with internalizing and memorizing that information. On a lighter note, it’s pretty cool having your name up on the printed newspaper.

Digital media on the other hand is collaborative by nature and more up-to-date. It allows for ideas to spread (don’t make me say “viral”) and allows people to share news stories with their own opinions attached to them, thus fostering a stronger and more opinionated student community.

Print and digital media can’t be pitted against each other, but should be used as complements to better interact with the news and allow the Foghorn to serve as the student’s voice on campus.

Stewards not Editors

We call ourselves “editors” but really we are stewards of the paper. We’ve filled the positions of those before us, and now we pass it off to other students to do the same. The medium by which that content is distributed is important, but either way to core ethos remains: The Foghorn is a vehicle for serving as the student’s organized voice on campus.

Farewell USF Community, it was a pleasure to serve.

@DaveedBoyle

DavidBoyle.me

43 thoughts on “Online Editor David Boyle says Farewell to USF Community”

1. Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from
    an established blog. Is it very difficult to set up your own
    blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I’m
    thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

2. I was excited to discover this site. I wanted to thank you for your time for this particularly fantastic read!!

I definitely liked every bit of it and i also have you book-marked to check out new
    information on your website.

3. You will need a company for international removals.
    Indeed, the Fourth District Court of Appeal found that only the federal government,
    not the hospitals, is authorized to conduct deportations.

Training you have completed as an employee or completed elsewhere will not satisfy the education requirements to become a licensed asbestos removal contractor.
    This can be possible either you need them stored temporarily or for
    a long-term period. Add to that an increased
    distance, culture and language between destination and present location and
    it can look like a lot of your hair is going to end up in your hands.

4. While the food industry has progressively altered the food supply with over-processing which takes out much of
    thee essential nutritional value, the wellness industry is seeking too improve it.
    The first process, which has occurred for almost 40 years, is a decline per decade of an approximate amount of 4% of O3,
    and the second refers to great amounts of O3 decrease during springtime in the Earth´s poles.
    The betacarotene likewise helps for boosting eye-sight.

5. I was especially pleased to acquire this web-site.I wanted to thanks for your time for this great read!! I surely enjoying every single little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.
    [url=http://partydressshops.com/the-air-jordan-fact-file/]cheap sneakers[/url]

6. Great Post.thanks for share..even more wait ..
    [url=http://www.blueworld.co.za/blogs/the-best-net-10-deal-get-more-minutes-for-less-cash-jdiidkfk]buy jordans[/url]

7. If you have pending documents left for approval, it
    is best to estimate the targeted time of completion to make things
    flexible on your side. Many companies within the UK are finding that
    their production and manufacturing costs could be much lower in countries such as Australia or China
    and this is really persuading many businesses to move there.
    Removals can be a tough thing for adults, so for children they are definitely very
    difficult to deal with. Aregional relocation covers a radius of all around sixty to one hundred km of atown. If you can drive
    you have the option of bringing your car over or buying a car whilst you are in Spain; however there is nothing stopping you from getting rid of the use of a vehicle altogether and just relying on public transport, which is very effective in Barcelona, Madrid and Valencia.

8. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious
    what all is needed to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like
    yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100% positive.
    Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

9. Course-plotting utilizing the key pad along with mouse button thinks clumsy inside Windows main. If perhaps they will found gone the original pc and the file supervisor isn’t at all touching improved.

10. itssss brilliant sorts……… simplest…….!!!! thanks a great deal to get revealing and also conserving everyone’s moment…….. thanks a lot I would like to be familiar with 80g the 2010 season. Once we can determine 80G with memory foam simply no 16 or not Outlined on our site consider a new Metro-only tablet by Xbox 360 the usage, I favor the particular hardwood program, however We have no desire for Microsoft windows as being a computer OPERATING-SYSTEM anymore. A lot of malware, malware, crashes, so many issues. The particular Macintosh personal computer can be a exceptional desktop computer OPERATING SYSTEM without having collisions as well as complications, even so the apple ipad tablet to me is like some sort of toy nonetheless and it is unattainable serious treatment done onto it in addition to writing and reading some quick email messages. I imagine this is the limit in order to tablets, however Microsoft can be an company productiveness business whenever any individual can accomplish some sort of productive gadget its these.

11. The third mistake that businesses should avoid on social networking
    is appearing unprofessional. A discussion messaging offerings feature SMS in addition to email messages.
    They feature final results during first minutes which are
    super easy to learn.

12. Every single plan or maybe application features it is benefits along with crons therefore the entirely incorrect sighting the particular poor details about it. They have the vast majority of excellent things so that as the moment goes by these kind of flaws will be soughted out there. . -= GadgetGuide4U’s final site… Digg App Regarding Android os is already Avaiable =-.

13. How is Final. fm not necessarily with this listing… additionally, take a look at tuberadio. net daaah, considering that the concept claims: solutions to be able to the planet pandora and also LASTFM idiot!

14. An incredibly trustworthy origin said Harry Reid will not release their taxation assessments while she has definitely not paid his or her whole 10% (of full “increase”) tithe to The Church connected with God associated with Latter-Day Heureux (LDS). rapid some sort of beliefs they stocks together with Romney. In the event Harry Reid were not a really despicable hypocirite although discharge their tax statements so the Bishop of his LDS Ward could possibly assess if Harry humiliated during his or her Serenidad Advise Interview a forehead recommend being a Mormon’s “admintence card” to help almost holy Entereza rites.

15. ロレックス デイトナコピー時計:http://www.canot-kayak.qc.ca/rolexwatch.html
    フランクミュラーコピー時計:http://www.iconsinmed.org/cir/franckmullerwatch.html
    オメガコピー時計:http://oiltechinvest.com/omegawatch.html