ThriftTown2

The Top 5 Best Thrift Stores Around Campus

Inspired by Macklemore’s song? Pop some tags near USF and create your own thrift-shop style. 

As college students, we are burdened with slim budgets, which means less money for food, weekend excursions, and shopping.  Shopping not only allows one to clean out his or her closet, but it offers tranquility and the chance for us to expand our wardrobes with fashionable pieces.  Thrifting does just that, without breaking our budget. At the same time, we can keep up with all the bohemian personalities strutting their style around campus.  Here are some of the best thrift stores near campus:

The Goodwill Store

1700 Haight St

San Francisco, CA 94117

(415) 738-5606

Goodwill is by far the cheapest place to thrift. Amidst the store’s somewhat overwhelming racks, you will be sure to find trendy shirts and sweaters for no more than $5. I left with a black chiffon H&M blouse for $4.50. Aside from clothes, Goodwill carries a great collection of old movies, books, CDs, and Vinyl records – all of which, are no more than $2 a piece.  There is a funky “pre-worn” smell that permeates throughout the store (as expected), but that is not going to keep me from heading back there so I can get my lumpy sweater fix.

Fashion Exchange

1728 Haight St

San Francisco, CA 94117

(415) 387-3333

The store is very well organized, separating their clothes between “New Arrivals” and “Sale Items.”  The new arrivals are priced around $15, and there, you can pick up cute button up blouses and lacey tops.  The sale rack ranges from $4 to $10 and usually contains out-of season items. The store’s walls are adorned with trendy name brand purses.  These can be a bit expensive – some as high as $65 – but there are many that do not go over $30.  Additionally, Fashion Exchange also has costumes and accessories.  There is a section in the back dedicated for just tutus and fur coats; and you can find wigs and jewelry near the checkout.  I recommend heading there if you want to go all-out once Halloween rolls around.

Thrift Town

2101 Mission St

San Francisco, CA 94110

(415) 861-1132

Thrift Town. located in the Mission District, is the farthest from campus. However, it should definitely be on your radar if you have a strict budget.  It is like a vamped up version of Goodwill. The store is organized in every way you could imagine (size, color, sleeveless, and stretchy just to name a few).  From what I saw, their average clothes’ price do not go over $10.  Like Goodwill, Thrift Town carries more than clothes.  They have an entire second level dedicated to furniture, kitchenware, music, movies, and more.  While searching for bargain clothing and other miscellaneous items, you can enjoy listening to old school music (I’ve found that The Temptations are a Thrift Town favorite), while an oversized parrot statue overlooks the entire store.  Thrift Town is simply a fun place to be.

Wasteland

1660 Haight St

San Francisco, CA 94117

(415) 863-3150

Wasteland has a very cool atmosphere.  When shopping there, I feel as though I’m in a grungy NYC boutique rather than looking for recycled, vintage clothing; and this of course promotes the fact that Wasteland is more expensive than other thrift stores. Much of the store’s contents contain vintage items.  The more vintage, the more expensive.  But this does not mean that you cannot find cute clothes while maintaining your budget, it is a matter of knowing where to look.  For all my designer name brand junkies, this is your place.  Wasteland has the best shoe collection by far.  There is a plethora of Steve Madden leather boots that are priced around $45.  Some of their shoes are a bit scuffed, but I prefer buying shoes that have a few miles on them.  Also, the back racks of the store are stocked almost entirely with lumpy sweaters, vintage and modern alike.  You can be sure to round out your Old Lady Chic style after visiting Wasteland.  A bonus to the store would be that they have a fitting room, so you know you are not wasting your money on clothes that do not look amazing on you.  And if you do so happen to change your mind later, Wasteland offers a 15-day return policy for items with the tag still on.

Crossroads Trading Co.

1519 Haight St

San Francisco, CA 94117

Phone number

(415) 355-0555

Crossroads is by far one of my favorite places to thrift.  It is the most organized and you can find vintage clothing for prices far lower than Wasteland’s.  Their sale racks contain super stylish maxi dresses and leather jackets that cost around $16.50.  I walked away with a black jumpsuit for $9.50.  Like Wasteland, Crossroads carries designer shoes but they’re about $10 to $15 cheaper and are in better condition.  The most expensive clothes items I saw were $35, but much of the store is priced far below that.  Their walls are decorated with gently worn True Religion jeans for bargain prices.  They have great accessories that you can find by the checkout, like jewelry and cheap flowy scarves that are sure to bring out the bohemian in you.  And if you ever feel regretful of your purchase—which I’m sure you will not—the store offers a 7-day return policy.

Last 5 posts by Nichole Rosanova

74 thoughts on “The Top 5 Best Thrift Stores Around Campus”

1. For this reason along with other activity focused classes are a much better choice for
    instructing young children languages. “My whole head went flying to the side,” she explained.
    I used to play this game right before dismissal at school.

Look into my website: Farm animals saga

2. It allows them to take any decisions regarding shopping and buying
    within no time. So everybody preserve expand way and download iPhone apps simply.
    By simply plugging in the name of one of your favorite artists, bands or songs, Pandora will create
    a radio station based on it and music that is similar.

Check out my weblog :: cool free apps For iphone

3. In Everywhere in the world, most of the women are affection on Jewellers, it should be acceptable thing.Various kinds of Jewellers are available like Diamond, Gold and Silver. But the thing is each jewels have a separate prices depend on the jewels quality. Many Jewellery shops in America, Australia, India, Canada and Dubai are providing jewellers hub for the customers satisfaction. Because customers are use to travel the long time and buy the jewels. But nowadays they do not need that pain. Have the websites to buy from home itself which is comfortable for us. In every countries , every states, every districts have the options to buy it. Mostly in India women are affection on the jewels . So Jewellershub available in many states like Karnataka, Tamilnadu, Kerala and Andra pradesh. Depend on the economic problem the rates of the jewels can be change. Cities like Mumbai , Calcutta, Bangalore and Chennai the rates are much affordable in Rajajinagar.
    March 17, 2014

4. Hey this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge
    so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience.
    Any help would be enormously appreciated!

Feel free to surf to my weblog; oregano gold

5. Hey I am so glad I found your web site, I really found you by error, while I was searching
    on Digg for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a fantastic
    post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it
    all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will
    be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the
    fantastic b.

Feel free to visit my blog :: Xbox live code generator (http://www.youtube.com)

6. Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyhow, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be
    book-marking and checking back frequently!

7. banana kong cheat has a significant role inside National Traditions.
    A lot of people is often seen involved in things to do associated with banana kong hack 2014.

This can be partly due to the fact people on
    most ages could be engaged in addition to individuals are generally introduced in concert by simply this.
    Usually anyone whom demonstrates their do not like intended for banana kong hack android might be regarded
    an outcast.

8. Making use of the Base – Object class is the Animated – Game – Object.

Women will spend days waiting on that one phone call from the guy that they met last weekend.
    Even after they get older, they’ll remember that you took
    the time to play games with them and have fun with them.

Feel free to surf to my web site :: game of War Cheats chips

9. Does your website have a contact page? I’m having a tough
    time locating it but, I’d like to shoot you an e-mail.
    I’ve got some ideas for your blog you might be interested
    in hearing. Either way, great site and I look
    forward to seeing it expand over time.

10. And within the days when everyone stood a landline and used phone books, it was a
    great way of getting business, so effective that it turned out considered essential for virtually
    any business or service that has been local or regional in nature.
    The only camera I had with me was among those Kodak disposable cameras, so I used
    what I had, then scanned it in later. 3-inch QVGA high res screen TV no WIFI
    YES GPS YES Camera Dual high definition cameras with flashlight,
    Recording Dynamic Image File Format: 3GP.