Changing the World from Here with Fossil Fuel Divestment

A. Ruga

Ashlyn Ruga graduated in spring 2013 with a double major in philosophy and international studies.

To recapture the attention of USF’s CFO and VP of Business and Finance, Charlie Cross, members and supporters of Fossil Free USF—the fossil fuel divestment campaign—recently garnered over 200 online petition signatures from the USF community in 48 hours. Each endorsement went to Cross’ inbox, which proved galling enough to achieve the response we sought. Despite maintaining regular communication following the campaign’s launch last semester, Cross had severed contact once summer arrived. It was necessary to demonstrate the increasing support we have been receiving.

We are asking USF to divest its endowment from the fossil fuel industry. Although we do not live on the front lines of the communities directly affected by it, we stand in solidarity with these “sacrifice zones” by calling on USF to divest. People living in those areas suffer extremely elevated rates of cancer, birth defects, and rare diseases that were absent prior to the industry’s development. Given USF’s commitment to social justice, continuing to profit from these destructive companies is in patent conflict with its Jesuit values.

In addition, the climate crisis, caused by humans burning fossil fuels, only continues to exacerbate pending, devastating natural disasters. It is unconscionable to pay for our education with investments that contribute to climate catastrophe. Divestment is an act in defense of USF’s current and future graduating classes, who deserve “to graduate with a future not defined by climate chaos” (gofossilfree.org).

As the situation worsens, we organize within a burgeoning fossil fuel divestment movement that has spread to over 300 college campuses. We need a fundamental shift in our energy paradigm, and installing a few solar panels is not going to get us far before our carbon emissions condemn us to utter calamity. This crisis is urgent. We must confront the perpetrating industry directly, and that is precisely what the fossil fuel divestment movement seeks to do.

It is easy to delude ourselves into thinking that we are doing enough by recycling, for example. This presumption is perpetuated, because we are not yet experiencing immediate impacts of the pollution and climate change caused by fossil fuel operations: Our tap water is not brown and noxious; we do not breathe black fog that permeates our communities. Our food still grows, and our houses are not underwater. Instead, we are in immensely privileged positions — positions that oblige us to act. If we do not, we are sending a message of acquiescence to the fossil fuel industry, which has subverted our democracy and exploits the marginalized to no end.

USF is a Jesuit institution that ubiquitously advertises its moral standards, so is it not critical that we act boldly in opposition to such flagrantly underhanded and destructive practices?

If our motivations are ethical, the decision to divest is required. As one of my heroes, Tim DeChristopher, stated: “At this point of unimaginable threats on the horizon, this is what hope looks like. In these times of a morally bankrupt government that has sold out its principles, this is what patriotism looks like. With countless lives on the line, this is what love looks like, and it will only grow. The choice you are making today is what side are you on.”

95 thoughts on “Changing the World from Here with Fossil Fuel Divestment”

1. you’re really a just right webmaster. The website loading velocity is amazing. It kind of feels that you’re doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve performed a excellent job on this matter!

2. Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do some research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I am very glad to see such great info being shared freely out there.

3. I simply want to say I am very new to blogging and site-building and actually enjoyed you’re web page. Very likely I’m planning to bookmark your blog post . You absolutely come with awesome stories. Thanks a lot for sharing your web-site.

4. Thank you so much for providing individuals with remarkably remarkable possiblity to read articles and blog posts from this blog. It is often very kind and also stuffed with a good time for me and my office peers to visit your website minimum 3 times every week to see the new things you have. And definitely, we are actually fascinated with your effective suggestions you serve. Some 1 areas on this page are truly the finest we have all ever had.
    cheap Louis Vuitton http://markdavisweb.com/images/projects/dalv.aspx

5. I possess learn the right items right here. Definitely value bookmarking to get returning to. My partner and i question how much hard work you add to make such a wonderful useful website.

6. Put a period minimal about tunes. Like a patent it’s essentially a fixed monopoly whereby the actual patent owner is provided the actual exceptional right to help make, utilize, market typically the branded development for the constrained stretch of time. As soon as the term involving safeguard has finished, the trademarked innovation goes in the public domain name. New music isn’t any various after that an individual inventing one thing…

7. Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice even as
    you amend your website, how caan i subscribe for a
    blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal.

I have been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered
    vivid transparent concept

My webpage :: expedia coupon codes

8. Fears of another recession led to wild market swings last month as global growth slowed and Europe’s debt crisis flared up again. Consumer confidence plunged in August to a two-year low. A key category that tracks business investment fell sharply in July. Recent data were more encouraging, suggesting weak but steady economic expansion.

9. Howdy very cool blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally?I am glad to seek out so many useful information right here in the publish, we want develop more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

10. I believe that is among the such a lot significant info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. However wanna commentary on some general issues, The website style is great, the articles is actually great : D. Just right task, cheers

11. Can any person remember to show me the best way to remove the pastime selection through the elgg webpage and modify the particular quarry and also pals page as i will need. I would like to alter the file format with the screen while commented on the photograph Good web site this is certainly, I have saved the item within my firefox, take care.

12. We are going to making use of workboxes way too I submitted in regards to the general technique not too long ago and a few on the range tags My partner and i made for the preschooler. In the next couple weeks I’ll be placing other printables as well number strips, numbers, and soooo much more!. We’re actually making the most of all of them the actual we modified that and fit us which is coming in some sort of write-up shortly!

13. I used to be just simply wanting to know, just what does the RIAA crew have got since information which Fran downloadable or perhaps downloaded music? Which is Fran even needed to distribute his pc towards the court intended for assessment or even some thing? I am just just simply trying to appreciate how one could understand somebody is definitely expressing new music not having joining with the spreading them selves. I merely obtained the page from people baddies, and I didn’t perhaps open it. I’m thinking of simply going to court without any help (I have no choiceI still cannot fork out! ), and also I’m merely doing some fishing for all the facts because i could.