B. Bad

#GoodbyeBreakingBad

Staff writer Sarah Rewers gives a recap of TV’s most talked about show, and sits down with USF Alum and Breaking Bad  Story Editor Gennifer Hutchinson.

*Spoiler Alert: You may not want to read this if you have not watched the last season yet.*

The epic drama series is over. For those of us that fell in love with the show and its incredible twists and turns, not to mention the outstanding acting, what do we do now? The show has ended, Walt and Hank are dead and Jesse is free.

We are now left with nothing but the task of reflecting on one of the best — if not the best — drama series ever created.

AMC’s “Breaking Bad” is not a show that fans watch superficially. This show requires digestion. It’s difficult to watch a ruthless jackass shoot Hank (after hearing his last words to Walt: “You’re the smartest guy I’ve ever met, and you’re too stupid to see he made up his mind ten minutes ago”) or the hated Todd pop a bullet into Andrea’s head without any warning. We have to let our brains adjust and interpret.

Not only is the narrative excellent and well-done, but also the aesthetic qualities create images that we hold with us after each episode. Namely, the cinematography adds to the show’s appeal. Remember Season 4, Episode 1 when the camera zoomed in on the blood from one of the many murder scenes and then smoothly transitioned to a guy eating fries and ketchup? Those details are very smart and they become almost tangible to us.

Another impressive aspect of the show is the fact that the occurring events are not always presented in chronological order. This is not an unusual tactic — Quentin Tarantino is known for doing this in his movies — but it definitely creates tension and interest for the viewer. “Breaking Bad” is able to do this without letting all the facts become murky.

To do some digesting for myself, I spoke with “Breaking Bad” story editor Gennifer Hutchison, who graduated from USF with an undergraduate degree in media studies.

Foghorn: What led you to this job? How were you able to jump from college grad pursuing media career to famous TV writer?

GH: I worked in the industry for ten or twelve years as an assistant. I got a job as a production assistant for “Nash Bridges.” Then, I got a job on “X Files” as a production assistant. Vince Gilligan (the creator of “Breaking Bad”)  was the writer/producer for “X Files” so I worked for him there. Once I heard that Vince was starting a new TV show for AMC, I immediately read the script and contacted him. First, I was a writer’s assistant.

My big break came when Vince allowed me to write a freelance script for “Breaking Bad.” He liked it, so he used it for Season 3, Episode 8 and hired me as a staff writer for the show. From then on, I was promoted each season, until I eventually became the executive story editor.

Foghorn:What, in your opinion was the main theme of the show? Specifically, what is your view of Walter White and what are your thoughts on his changed personality?

GH: When Vince created the show, his idea was to create a character and change him. His vision was to take a guy and watch him change. That’s what’s really interesting about “Breaking Bad.” We thought about what felt organic. We always approached it from a character’s standpoint. We took it step by step, until he descended into a criminal. We thought really hard about what would make sense for him. We did the same for all the characters.

Foghorn: I read somewhere that Bryan Cranston thought the ending of the show was “perfect and unforgiving.”  Do you think everyone had this ending in mind throughout all the previous seasons? Did you pretty much know where the show was going to go or was it still up in the air by the middle seasons?

GH: We all had general ideas of what would happen to the characters. We all knew Walt should die, and we talked about different scenarios that could happen. We didn’t know if he would die after being shot or if it would be the cancer. Also, we all knew Jesse should go away. It was generally all up for grabs.

Foghorn: Going back to your experience at USF, I read a quote from you about how Professor Barker-Plummer influenced you during your time here. Is there anything in particular that you learned from her, or from any professor here, that you still hold with you today?

GH: All my Professors influenced me. It was really upsetting when Andrew Goodwin died. I have been thinking about him a lot since that happened, because he was really supportive. I did my senior thesis in his class. I had this idea to write it as a piece of fiction, and he said I absolutely should. And I think him letting me write something academic in a fiction form gave me confidence to communicate through fiction.

Barker-Plummer taught a lot about representation and groups. That’s what I take with me into a room, especially when I deal with characters who are the minorities. I try to make sure that they are just as real as the standard lead characters. She taught me to be mindful of those things, which was really important and helped. It’s about telling a good story without sacrificing your value systems.

Foghorn Lastly, what advice do you have for students pursuing similar media-related careers?

GH: The thing you learn is that no one makes it the same way. It’s nothing like becoming a doctor or an accountant. It’s a very fluid process. The one common thread is that you have to really want to do this. It’s very competitive. Even when you’re in your darkest moments, you have to know that this is what you want to do. You need to be persistent and confident.

Also, if you want to be a writer you should be writing. You should always be practicing your craft. Talent plus luck is the way you make it. You have to be there when that person says ‘hey why don’t I give you a shot.’

Last 5 posts by Sarah Rewers

70 thoughts on “#GoodbyeBreakingBad”

1. Does your website have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d like to shoot you an e-mail.
    I’ve got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
    Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

2. I was curious if you ever considered changing the layout
    of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with
    it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 images.

Maybe you could space it out better?

3. Jacuzzi Bath is also good for people who usually experience
    strenuous activities everyday. Government grant programs have been
    alloted to aid people with housing, schooling, debt, and small businesses.
    What usually happens is that they keep gambling it until they have nothing left.

Also visit my web page :: free money

4. Hi there very cool web site!! Man .. Excellent ..
    Superb .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds also?
    I’m glad to find numerous helpful information
    here within the put up, we’d like work out extra techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing.
    . . . . .

5. Hello there, I found your site by the use of Google even as searching for a related subject, your
    website came up, it seems to be great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hi there, just turned into aware of your blog through Google,
    and located that it is really informative. I’m
    gonna be careful for brussels. I’ll appreciate in
    the event you continue this in future. Lots of other folks will likely be benefited
    out of your writing. Cheers!

Also visit my web blog: Le Casse des casses Telecharger

6. Search engine submission 5. Those were the days.
    Butremember this site one thing; never ever try to cross the density
    limit. The advised option that you can do to increase your rankings in just about everey
    business in the virtual world. In astudy the following year, November/December 2009,” Calorie Labeling Annd Food Choices: A First Look At The Effects On Low-Income People In New York City, and finally,number 10 droos to 3 percent.

7. Many will even require that you lock up the truck yourself to ensure that nobody
    can touch your belongings without your being present. If I want
    to become rich, I need to switch from active income
    earner to passive income earner based on my understanding from the book Rich Dad
    Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. For this reason, these little
    greenhouses are said to glow when the weather is cloudy.

my blog :: ufr pharmacie paris 5 – http://www.alpha-medi.com,

8. For instance if you reviewed a certain make of computer you can sign
    up to receive email alerts about this product.
    To see the details, click on the More Info link located to the
    top-right of each section. When she was just eleven years old, her
    ‘uncle’, a trusted family friend, began to abuse her – an ordeal that continued for
    two years, until a chance occurrence in the school playground, something that no-one of
    her age should ever have witnessed, gave her an idea which would put an end to ‘uncle’s’ little game once and for
    all.

My website – review

9. Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely wonderful.
    I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you
    say it. You make it entertaining and you still
    care for to keep it smart. I can not wait to read far
    more from you. This is really a tremendous site.

My website :: Robocop Télécharge le film

10. Hi this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering
    if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Feel free to surf to my web-site world of tanks triche

11. Howdy! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us
    so I came to check it out. I’m definitely loving the information.
    I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Superb blog and terrific design.

Feel free to surf to my blog post :: Bryce Harper Jersey

12. Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on
    other websites? I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would love
    to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers would value
    your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.