Brendan Hendriks played the role of hero for the Dons on Friday, hitting a walk-off home run in USF’s upset win over No. 2 Cal State Fullerton. (Photo by Dons Athletics)

Baseball: Brendan Hendriks’ 19th-Inning Homer Lifts Dons

USF went up early in Sunday afternoon’s game at No. 2 Cal State Fullerton, but couldn’t maintain the lead and lost the game 5-1. The loss was the second in the Dons three-game series against the Titans. San Francisco won the first match 6-5 in a grueling 19 innings, but was defeated 11-0 in the second game. This is USF’s second series loss of the year, and the defeat on Sunday drops their overall record to 3-4.

The Dons scored first in the third game of the series as freshman second baseman Matt Sinatro stole third base and went home after a missed catch. CSU Fullerton picked up the scoring from there, however, and soon went up 4-1 off of two two-run home runs by J.D. Davis and Greg Velazquez. Though they got men on base, USF was not able to bring anyone home and gave up another run to bring the game to the final score of 5-1. Titans pitcher Grahamm Wiest who showed the Dons a fierce battle all game long, striking out 10 and allowing just five hits in nine innings.

On Saturday, the Dons had an even worse outing, falling to the Titans 11-0 after an epic 19-inning game the night before. CSU Fullerton pitcher Justin Garza threw seven shutout innings while only giving up 5 hits, and accounted for 12 of his team’s 16 strikeouts.

“For us to strikeout 16 times, that’s just a collapse mentally and physically offensively, Dons head coach Nino Giarratano told usfdons.com. “We were a little tired. It’s not an excuse, they should have been just as tired as us. They were just more prepared to play every day and we need to get there.”

Just a day before, the Dons had managed to pull out a win against CSU Fullerton in a drawn out game that lasted for 19 innings. The Titans opened the scoring in the third inning off of a double-RBI by third baseman Matt Chapman, who was then batted in himself, bringing the score to 3-0.

The Dons were able to score two runs in the fourth off of an RBI home run by junior center fielder Bradley Zimmer, but they were matched by two CSU Fullerton runs in the bottom of the fourth, which further extended the Titans’ lead. USF bounced back in the sixth, however, and was able to tie the game off of another two RBI’s from Zimmer, who proceeded to score a run of his own off of a flyout to left field.

The scoring ended up staying locked at 5-5 and went into extra innings, where both teams went scoreless until junior designated hitter Brendan Hendriks ended the extravaganza with a walk-off home run that sailed over the right field wall and won the game for the Dons. Redshirt senior Houston Hibberd got the win on the mound for USF, pitching seven hitless innings while striking out six. Hibberd’s rock solid performance earned him West Coast Conference Pitcher of the Week honors.

The score of the Dons’ Feb. 25 game at Stanford was not available at press time. San Francisco will now head north to take on the Sacramento State Hornets on Friday, Feb. 28 at 2:00 p.m.

25 thoughts on “Baseball: Brendan Hendriks’ 19th-Inning Homer Lifts Dons”

1. I was curious if you ever thought of changing the layout of your website? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?
    montre zenith automatic
    [url=http://www.montresprix.com/zenith-montres-nouveau-france-38.html]montre zenith automatic[/url]

2. Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your site. You have some really great articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an email if interested. Kudos!
    Puma pro

3. With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of unique content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any ways to help prevent content from being stolen? I’d really appreciate it.
    nike 2014

4. Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for novice blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.
    nouvelle chaussure nike

5. Among them are Forumer, Blogger, Blog – Easy, Aeonity, Blog – Thing
    and Blogates. At the same time, you do not want
    a color that is difficult to look at for a long period of time.
    Their code makes it possible for web developers to add their very own code to practically
    anything within it.For a new mobile blogging
    system click the link now.

6. I feel this is among the so much significant info for me. And i’m glad studying your article. However should statement on few common things, The site taste is great, the articles is in reality excellent : D. Excellent activity, cheers

7. That is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look ahead to in quest of more of your wonderful post. Additionally, I’ve shared your site in my social networks