LacrosseTeam

New Sports Club Brings Lacrosse To USF

If you’ve passed by Negoesco Stadium recently, you may have noticed something you had probably never seen before at USF; lacrosse players practicing on the field. That’s because the university did not have any type of lacrosse organization on campus before October, when a group of students got together to form the USF Lacrosse Club.

Though they are officially a University of San Francisco organization, USF Lacrosse holds the “club sport” status, which means they do not get most of the benefits that athletes in sports such as basketball and soccer get.

Suraj “Zed” Talluri is a first year lacrosse player and the goalie for the USF lacrosse club. Courtesy of Suraj Talluri.

“Club teams often operate separately from the athletic department, the big difference there is that they don’t receive any funding from the school.” said Dan Vilar, head coach of the Lacrosse Club. “With varsity sports you have recruits, you follow NCAA bylaws, you have scholarships, and a big budget. Club sports are organized, funded and administrated all by the students – they do the work, they hire all the coaches, they pay the coaches.”

Not only do students hire the coaches, they also pay for everything else needed to run a team.

“It’s an additional burden on top of tuition and everything else – it comes out of the players’ pockets,” Vilar said before mentioning that it gets easier the longer you have the program. “More established programs will have better fundraising efforts, more alumni who give back to the program.” Vilar gives the example of UC Berkeley’s lacrosse squad, who have been a club team for 50 years now and were able to raise around $50,000 to help with paying for a coach.

Vilar played lacrosse from fourth grade through college, but only got into coaching once his eligibility ended. After that, he coached at various different levels at a number of schools around the Bay Area. Vilar jokingly said that “bossing people around” was his favorite part of being a coach, before continuing in a more sincere tone.

“My favorite part of being a coach is bringing out the best in somebody, seeing that moment where it clicks for them and they go from being a beginner to intermediate, or a brand new player on the team to a starter on the team,” Vilar said. “I love to see people who have that enthusiasm, that gusto, and are receptive to coaching.”

For sophomore Suraj “Zed” Talluri, who plays goalie for the USF Lacrosse Club, the best part of lacrosse is the feeling that he gets in the heat of the moment.

“The adrenaline rush, I’d have to say, is my favorite part about it,” Talluri said. “Like when I see someone bolting towards the cage about to take a shot, the insane amount of adrenaline I get before that shot is just addicting.”

Like a number of others on the team, this is the first experience that Talluri has had playing lacrosse, but skills from other sports have eased his training a little bit.

“I played a lot of tennis beforehand so that really helped with my hand-eye coordination,” Talluri said.

Hand-eye coordination is especially important for Talluri in his role as the team’s goalie. He said that while the position is pretty much what it sounds like, there are leadership aspects involved as well.

“It’s been described to me as the defensive quarterback in a way, because you need to command the defense, let them know what position they need to be in, and tell them who to approach and how to block,” Talluri said.

The team finished up its season on Sunday with a 15-3 win over Cabrillo College, but the players will be back in the fall to strengthen their skills and return to play. Moving forward, Vilar would like to see the team accepted into the Western Collegiate Lacrosse League (WCLL), but said that it will be hard if students with prior experience don’t show up to play.

“I know there are guys here who aren’t on the team but have played lacrosse before, and I hope that I can get them to come out and join,” Villar said.

12 thoughts on “New Sports Club Brings Lacrosse To USF”

1. I beloved up to you’ll receive carried out right here. The caricature is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you want be delivering the following. sick undoubtedly come further in the past once more since precisely the similar just about very steadily inside case you shield this hike.

2. Generally I do not learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, quite great article.

3. Undeniably imagine that which you stated. Your favourite justification seemed to be on the web the simplest factor to keep in mind of. I say to you, I definitely get irked even as people consider issues that they plainly do not understand about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

4. I feel this is among the such a lot important information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should observation on few basic things, The site taste is perfect, the articles is truly excellent : D. Excellent job, cheers

5. Thank you, I’ve recently been looking for information approximately this topic for a while and yours is the best I’ve found out till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure in regards to the source?|What i do not understood is if truth be told how you are not actually much more smartly-liked than you might be now. You’re so intelligent.

6. Hello my family member! I wish to say that this article is amazing, great written and include approximately all significant infos. I’d like to look extra posts like this .